Best app to stop bloatware from using up battery

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I wish to keep infrequently run apps from consuming battery lifetime. I have tried several apps, but would like recommendations. My Galaxy Nexus (gsm) is rooted. It seems that some apps freeze or quarantine the apps whereas others simply kill the app. I'm guessing that killing the app is less effective since the app may simply restart whenever it pleases. Suggestions much appreciated.
Pete

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
As an update, I'm now evaluating two apps that seem to take totally different approaches to the same problem. Advanced Task Killer Free allows you to identify tasks to kill and beyond that allows you to set the kill interval and kill level. App Quarantine Pro quarantines (or freezes) apps, but allows you to unfreeze and run them whenever desired. It provides a new icon to identify the frozen apps with a little padlock superimposed on the original app. My question is which type of app is best suited to keeping seldom used apps from running in the background and consuming resources such as battery. My initial thought is that App Quarantine will be more effective since it provides a continuous solution rather than allowing apps to startup in the background only to be killed at some user-set interval. I'm not sure what the consequence of killing an app vs quarantining an app is. It might be important to preserve the data associated with an app so that when you do choose to run it, everything is configured properly. I would love to receive comments from others who have tackled this issue.
Pete

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Based upon my research so far, it seems that an app like Watchdog by Zomut may be the best solution:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ls?id=com.zomut.watchdog&hl=en&token=4tmWMvys

It keeps track of cpu usage and generates an alert for any apps that exceed your threshold settings. In the paid version you can then create a blacklist which allows you to set a customized threshold for that app which kills it when exceeded. In the free Lite version, you must kill it manually. The concept is that Android does a good job of managing apps and associated memory usage so one just needs to keep an eye out for the occasional misbehaving app which will shows itself with excessive cpu usage. Comments appreciated.
Pete

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried simply disabling the bloatware apps, or are you just concerned about the bloatware that you can't disable?

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried simply disabling the bloatware apps, or are you just concerned about the bloatware that you can't disable?
Thanks. Actually, I'm more interested in misbehaving apps. As far as I know, I can use Titanium Backup to freeze any bloatware. As mentioned above, I intend to use Watchdog to monitor for misbehaving apps; so far it has not discovered any using the recommended settings.
Pete

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
You need to remember that running Watchdog is going to consume battery as well.
Thanks. Yes, that's true. I was actually thinking that I don't need to run it at all times. I can run it when I seem to be experiencing reduced battery life or perhaps occasionally to check on newly installed apps. The rest of the time it could be frozen with Titanium Backup. Also App Quarantine is a neat app to easily run otherwise quarantined programs since the icon remains on home screen with a little padlock superimposed on it. I assume quarantined and frozen are basically the same. I will say that when I go into Settings/Battery, Watchdog is not listed although ES File Explorer and System Framework (Cerberus) are both listed at 2% apiece.
Pete

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I have started to test how my desired notifications work in conjunction with JDU. I use LightFlow to turn on LED for desired notifications. Tests were based on whether the LED turned on at the correct time. Here are my results so far:

1. Calendar Reminder: works
2. Alarm Clock: works (does not use LightFlow)
3. Missed Call: works
4. SMS: works
5. MMS: not tested
6. Google Voice: works
7. Words w/ Friends: not tested
8. My Data Manager: not tested (does not use LightFlow)​

After consideration I will not need notification from K-9 or Gmail. I will check emails on demand. I found these results to be very encouraging. It should be noted that I was running JDU in the customize mode with Apps disabled. The customize mode is much simpler (ie, fewer options) than the advanced mode.
Pete

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11