Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By still1
  • 1 Post By still1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Kindle fire vs nook tablet

I am looking into buying a tablet under $180 and my two best choices are the nook tablet and the kindle fire. I have been comparing the two and am not sure which to get. I would like to get some opinions from people who own either device. Here is a comparison of the pros and cons of each device that I have made-
    Nook tablet vs Kindle fire

-------------------------------------

-Nook tablet - $154.99 with $25 discount included with barnes and noble rewards membership ($179.99 otherwise)

Pros-

-Better quality, brighter, more responsive screen

-Micro SD card slot

-Able to be safely turned into a full android tablet without voiding warrantee with an androidfornook micro SD card ($19.99) which allows you to choose when you turn on your nook whether you want to boot it up into the nook os or android 2.3.7

-Cheaper by $5 (with barnes and noble membership which I have)

-More customizable

-Better battery life

-Strong if dropped, screen won't easily break or get scratched

Cons-

-Less apps available

-Must purchase music from another place, only apps, movies, books, and magazines are available in the nook store

-Slightly slower processor than kindle (1GHz dual core compared to 1.2GHz dual core)

-------------------------------------

-Kindle fire - $159.99 + additional $15 if ads are removed

Pros-

-Lots of apps available

-Slightly faster processor than nook (1.2GHz dual core compared to 1GHz dual core)

-Can purchase songs, movies, books, magazines, and apps from amazon, compared to only apps, movies, books, and magazines from nook store

Cons-

-Less bright, not as good picture quality

-Worse battery life

-not as customizable

-ads which to get rid of you have to pay $15

-Only 8GB, no SD card slot

-Cannot be safely turned into a full android tablet and if any attempt is made to turn into a full android tablet then the warrantee is voided

-more expensive by $5 not counting the $15 needed to remove ads

-not as strong as nook when dropped, screen will shatter if dropped onto a hard surface

Default Re: Kindle fire vs nook tablet

I have the Acer a100 iconia. I have used both the kindle and the nook n hated them both. My son Who is 12, did not like his nook so we sold it. He only had it a month. If either one has the android market, get that one. Otherwise u will have to pay for anything worth a damn.
    Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums

so u are buying a tablet which is walled garden and cuts down feature by 10????
    Nexus 7 is twice powerfull. future proof.
    Better quality, brighter, more responsive screen than Nook and fire
    High resoultion
    More customization 100 times better
    Better battery life
    Lots of apps available 700k. fire only has 60k
    faster processor than nook and fire. Tegra 3, 1.3 quad core.
    Can purchase songs, movies, books, magazines, and apps from amazon and use it
    can use nook app in nexus 7

there was a deal for $184 a couple of days ago.
    hell_on_heels likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    so u are buying a tablet which is walled garden and cuts down feature by 10????
    Nexus 7 is twice powerfull. future proof.
    Better quality, brighter, more responsive screen than Nook and fire
    High resoultion
    More customization 100 times better
    Better battery life
    Lots of apps available 700k. fire only has 60k
    faster processor than nook and fire. Tegra 3, 1.3 quad core.
    Can purchase songs, movies, books, magazines, and apps from amazon and use it
    can use nook app in nexus 7

there was a deal for $184 a couple of days ago.

I do not want a nexus 7 because of all the reports I have read about poor build quality and a lack of app support. Also I have read that the screen is less responsive and is extremely defective. As for the acer iconia a100 as a previous person suggested I was immediately turned away from that tablet when I learned that it only had about 4-5 hours of battery life which is definietly not enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by acam333 View Post
    I do not want a nexus 7 because of all the reports I have read about poor build quality and a lack of app support. Also I have read that the screen is less responsive and is extremely defective. As for the acer iconia a100 as a previous person suggested I was immediately turned away from that tablet when I learned that it only had about 4-5 hours of battery life which is definietly not enough for me.
    most of the hardware issues has been fixed in recent production of nexus 7!!! The quality is fine now.

do you really understand what it meant when others said there is no app support in nexus 7?? because the apps in nook/Fire are the apps that has been picked from nexus 7's apps store by developers.

ALL apps you find in Fire/Nook are available(They both are same) in Nexus 7 + some 650,000 additional apps.

less responsiveness has been fixed in recent software updates. and it works much responsive now.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    most of the hardware issues has been fixed in recent production of nexus 7!!! The quality is fine now.

do you really understand what it meant when others said there is no app support in nexus 7?? because the apps in nook/Fire are the apps that has been picked from nexus 7's apps store by developers.

ALL apps you find in Fire/Nook are available(They both are same) in Nexus 7 + some 650,000 additional apps.

less responsiveness has been fixed in recent software updates. and it works much responsive now.
    Do you really understand what it means when it says that there is a lack of app support for the nexus 7?!?!? Obviously not! It really means that many developers are yet to make versions of their apps that work with android 4.1 and 4.2. Anyway many apps on google play are crap anyway. At least on the nook and kindle you just get the good apps and none of the crappy ones. Plus even if the build issues were fixed the device still gets destroyed if dropped. The screen will shatter and have pieces fall off, the device will have parts fall off of it, and the screen will become useless and won't detect any touch. (Don't believe me? just search nexus 7 drop test on youtube and see for yourself) At least you an drop a kindle or nook without destroying the device. And anyways this thread is for kindle fire vs nook tablet not, I repeat NOT, for the nexus 7 is so great even though it has very poor build quality and will pretty much self destruct if dropped, or kindle and nook stink get an acer iconia a100 which you have to plug in every ten minutes because that's how often the battery dies.

i dont want to argue with you. most apps works with 4.1 and i have a 4.1 device.
    hell_on_heels likes this.

That's why There's a charger. Ur not gonna walk n watch videos r u? I sit n play on mine all the time with it plugged in. I couldn't play for 5 hours on it anyway, I have a job and a family. I love it, my husband loves his, my mother n law AND brother n law both got them on our recommendation and love them. Realistically are u gonna be on it THAT MANY HOURS STRAIGHT? I couldn't. I have a life. Plug it in at night, trust me, it's plenty. Good luck.

Do you really understand what it means when it says that there is a lack of app support for the nexus 7?!?!? Obviously not! It really means that many developers are yet to make versions of their apps that work with android 4.1 and 4.2. Anyway many apps on google play are crap anyway. At least on the nook and kindle you just get the good apps and none of the crappy ones. Plus even if the build issues were fixed the device still gets destroyed if dropped. The screen will shatter and have pieces fall off, the device will have parts fall off of it, and the screen will become useless and won't detect any touch. (Don't believe me? just search nexus 7 drop test on youtube and see for yourself) At least you an drop a kindle or nook without destroying the device. And anyways this thread is for kindle fire vs nook tablet not, I repeat NOT, for the nexus 7 is so great even though it has very poor build quality and will pretty much self destruct if dropped, or kindle and nook stink get an acer iconia a100 which you have to plug in every ten minutes because that's how often the battery dies.
    The battery on my Acer is just fine. In the real world, most people aren't on them for 5 hrs straight. There is a charger after all. Most people SIT and use it. They're not walking with it, or going for a run. They're mostly sitting at home, on Facebook or surfing the internet. The battery life is really a lame excuse. Cuz it lasts long enough, I've had mine since December. But really there are tons of apps supported and usable on 4.1. The Acer has it and my galaxy S3 does as Well. And I have 246 on my phone.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Lol I was stupid back when I posted this. Really stupid. Its funny looking back at this and seeing how I knew almost nothing about android back then.

Posted via Android Central App