1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help picking new phone

I am an avid android user, but I do not keep up with the latest devices in order to not switch phones everytime I find something better. However, I am currently due for a new phone with a 2 year contract on Verizon. I was waiting for the latest release of the Nexus, but it seems like I will have to switch carriers for that. I currently have a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and my girlfriend also has Verizon, so our phone calls don't count towards minutes. Needless to say I am bummed about the Nexus 4, but I completely understand why they did what they did.

I currently have an HTC Thunderbolt, and I have complaints about it. The battery was a major issue so I upped to the extended and now it is just huge. I have a few requirements for my next phone.

1) Stock android Jelly Bean or close to it. I really love stock android and I hate HTC Sense and others like that
    2) Smaller than TB. I like to go running and use Endomodo, but my current phone is too large to put on my arm.
    3) Good battery.

Right now I think it'd be best to just get the Samung Galaxy Nexus through Verizon, but it just feels wrong buying a phone that is a year old. I feel like I'd already be playing catchup... Hell my TB doesn't even have ICS yet!

Do you guys have a better suggestion, would it be worth it to get a Nexus 4 on a different carrier?

Thanks for your help.

ROM
    Jelly Beans build 6

Default Re: Help picking new phone

I have the same exact question but I am a iphone 4 user switching to android.

I love my Motorola Razr Maxx, so you should check out the Razr Maxx HD. In regard to your requirements:

1. It currently has Ice Cream Sandwich, but Jellybean is imminent (for the Maxx HD, that is). Motorola's Motoblur skin is very light, and most people feel that it is the closest to stock Android as you can get among the major manufacturers (i.e., Samsung, HTC, LG).

2. Although it's a fairly big phone due to its large screen, it's lighter than the Thunderbolt.

3. Battery for the Maxx or Maxx HD is unrivaled in the industry. On my original Razr Maxx, I typically go at least 2 days between charging with moderate use.

If you want something smaller, you might also check out the Razr M, which is smaller but has a nearly edge-to-edge screen. Battery life isn't as impressive as with the Maxx, but like the Maxx HD, Jellybean is supposed to be coming very soon.

Remember that the Nexus 4 is 3G only, without 4G LTE, so mobile data will be relatively slow. That would be a dealbreaker for me.

all the phones are good. the real deal is whether you want to give up your unlimited data plan. i can tell you i was unlimited with a droidx with verizon, month ago got the s3. this is a really nice phone. i think the battery is great. but worrying about going over my 2g, which i never did in the prior 20 months has taken all the fun out of the phone. i have in 25 days gone to 2.5g and dont even use the phone because i am terrified of going past 3g which i dont want to pay for. i am seriously thinking of buying out my contract and going to any other carrier that is unlimited. i have not used this phone any differently than i did the droid x. it is either a data hog or verizon is capable of jimming it to get more $$.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by minnieusa View Post
    all the phones are good. the real deal is whether you want to give up your unlimited data plan. i can tell you i was unlimited with a droidx with verizon, month ago got the s3. this is a really nice phone. i think the battery is great. but worrying about going over my 2g, which i never did in the prior 20 months has taken all the fun out of the phone. i have in 25 days gone to 2.5g and dont even use the phone because i am terrified of going past 3g which i dont want to pay for. i am seriously thinking of buying out my contract and going to any other carrier that is unlimited. i have not used this phone any differently than i did the droid x. it is either a data hog or verizon is capable of jimming it to get more $$.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums
    Get the S3, aside from the note 2 it's the best on the market. It seems big but it's not bad. U can buy an arm strap for it. It's an awesome piece of equipment!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums