Stop apps from starting themselves / overriding app permissions

bpfh

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Some backround on this post. I own 2 android devices, a Samsung Galaxy i9003 and since yesterday, a Nexus 7.

I have ditched my Galaxy as a phone and gone to Blackberry due to battery issues, and apps on my Samsung draining the battery from full to empty in the space of a few hours, so I am now very careful about what I install. Since removing almost all the apps (and the SIM card) from the galaxy, I now have a battery live measured in days (including watching video) rather than hours just sitting doing nothing...

I understand the use of apps auto-starting themselves to provide notifications, such as Facebook, Twitter & Accuweather, but even though I do use these apps for what they are, I do not need them running all the time to provide a notification: The added "work" in starting the app to check updates is worth the extra battery life I get, as if I leave things alone to be automatically managed, my battery life is divided by 10... and having to flip the phone in and out of flight mode is a pain... (especially when you forget to activate it in the afternoon after charging and at 3 AM in the morning you have no battery left to call a taxi...)

So, what I would like to understand is this: Where does android store the information on autostarting applications? Even if I use a task killer, some apps will restart later on. Android must have some sort of task scheduler to restart registered apps after a certain amount of time has passed or on certain events.

Can anyone tell me how Android manages this list - and more importantly, how to change it, and also if there is any way to override the registered permissions of an app once it has been installed?

Cheers,
bpfh

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
always running apps are like services in windows OS.
There is an option in "developer Option" to restrict the number of running service in the background.

also if you clear data cache for the app. it wont run on the background. Hope that helps. there could be apps that could do this. i will let others answer that.

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
the 3 apps you mentioned are known for sucking battery. open each app, hit the menu button, then select settings and change the refresh rate. on my phone i have facebook notifications turned off and set refresh to never, if will refresh as soon as i launch the app anyway and i don't need my phone beeping at me with notifications every few minutes because a friend posted something. as for accuweather i set mine to refresh every 12 hours, you can tell it to refresh when you launch the app. most apps have user control options in their settings menu.

bpfh

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
@Still1 : I did not know much about the developer options, I'll have a look. I understand the analogy with windows services (and I know my way about Linux daemons too), but if you kill a daemon, and it magically restarts, you have a cron or an AT that restarts it. Under windows, you can set up in the service settings how to restart (or not) a service that crashes. This is what I would like to find in Android !

@mamawM: I know these apps are known for sucking battery, and you can set them up not to update themselves, that is one possibility, but I do not want them starting at all - unless I requested it - , and when I kill an app, I expect it to stay killed and not quietly restart again...

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Do some searching you'll see using a task killer is bad. As you noticed when you kill a app Android will restart it. Is the nature of the os. Breast thing to do is carry a spare battery and a charger handy. When your not using the phone plug it in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

bpfh

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
this is why I don't want to use a task killer :) I just don't want them becoming the android version of an old MS-DOS TSR!!

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Inside the apps AndroidManifest.xml, there's an intent receiver for the android.intent.action.BOOT_COMPLETED action. This IntentReceiver launches the apps designated activity when the boot sequence is completed. You need to intercept the intent with a different filter to stop it from loading.

Use this https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=imoblife.startupmanager&hl=en&token=Vo4vf2Ca if youre rooted to do it. If you're not rooted, there is nothing you can do other than not install apps that were coded to start at boot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis