1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Default FIPS 140-2 compliant Android devices

Hello all -

Hoping someone could help me with a problem I'm having. I'm the Mobile Device Admin for our company we're about to allow usage of Android phones for our employees. However, I need to compile a list of all the Androids that are FIPS 140-2 compliant for our CIO before we can get the final go-ahead. I know most of the newer Motorolas are, as well as the Galaxy S2 & S3, but that seems to be all I've been able to uncover. I've tried looking everywhere for a list of them, but not even my friend Google has been able to help me. So, I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction. Any help you could provide would be most appreciated.

BTW - I just got my first Android phone (S3) and am in love. Still trying to work my way around the Android OS, but so far, I can't put the thing down.

Thanks again!

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Default Re: FIPS 140-2 compliant Android devices

Really there is no FIPS 140-2 certified Android or iOS devices out there unless they have a custom rom that has that certification. The 1 android device that did actually receive such certification was the Dell which was discontinued 1 year prior to receiving the certification.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    3348b76f

No, the op is correct. Motorola and Samsung both received FIPS certifications for some devices. I'm not aware off-hand of any others but they'll be in NIST's list.

Global Posts
    1,215 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Quote Originally Posted by scorpdragon View Post
    No, the op is correct. Motorola and Samsung both received FIPS certifications for some devices. I'm not aware off-hand of any others but they'll be in NIST's list.

I stand corrected, 3 phones that are certified which are no longer in production. Motorola Solutions and Motorola Inc. products aren't phones but 2 way radios. The 1 Samsung is a phone that got certified with GB only, and the Motorola is a Business phone. I know about 2 way radios, because I use them everyday being licensed as a Ham Radio Op.
    3348b76f

I recall Samsung had a news release saying the tab got certified and seeing moto saying one of the razr's got it. I'll have to look. I never really followed up on it. But yea still not very many. When I talked with Samsung they alluded that the S3 would be but I don't remember seeing it get it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Btw OP check out the DISA STIG for android. They recommend using Good Enterprise Server.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Thank you both for the replies! Through various searches, I've found that the S2 & S3 definitely are (as well as the Tab), as well as the newer RAZRs. Was really hoping to find a list of the other user devices (HTC, LG, etc) but there just doesn't seem to be much out there. Oh well. At least this is a decent start.

Thanks again!!

how did your list come up? I'm not really finding anything more than what was mentioned in this post, but I"m also trying to compile a list of all the approved devices.

Thanks in advance!