Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By EvilMonkey
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Default Help with NOVA Drawers

Sorry if this is not the appropriate place for this ................

Had my Razr HD for about 1 1/2 weeks. Moved to Nova launcher a week ago. Love it. Posted about built in widgets vs NOVA, but this is about a function within NOVA. For the life of me I can't figure out how to set up 'Drawers' or their relationship to folders and tabs. I'm assuming a Drawer is similar to a folder in that it is a collection of apps, bookmarks and widgets. But then what is a folder in NOVA-speak? Tabs? Where do they fit in? And I can't figure out how to set up a Drawer. If someone can just point me to instructions that explain this, I can run with it.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Default Re: Help with NOVA Drawers

I can help.

There is only one drawer.

Within the drawer, you can create tabs. These are similar to browser tabs. By default you should see an 'apps' and a 'widgets' tab when you open the drawer.

Then you can create folders that will hold multiple apps. These are a similar to folders on the home screen, except they reside in the drawer (on a tab).

You can create new tabs and folders in Nova's settings under Drawer -> Drawer Groups.

Once you create one, just press on it (in settings) and you can select the apps that show in it. You can have the same apps on multiple tabs and in multiple folders. Long pressing a custom one will let you delete it.

As far as I can tell, folders always show in the 'apps' tab....I don't know if you can move a folder to another tab. I can't figure it out anyways. There's an option in the settings to always list folders first so they'll show up before the apps though.

Oh, in case you didn't know, to create a folder on the home screen (not in the drawer), just drag app icons on top of each other.

Hope that helps.
    Thanked by:
    DennisOS2 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Thanks so much. That helps immensely. But just to be clear, the Drawer is the equivalent to the button in the center of the Dock when you first receive the unit? Correct? It is just a more configurable version (tabs and folders) ........... right? You would replace that original system button with the Drawer because you can customize the tabs and place folders in each of the tabs. OK, NOW that I know its function I can better figure out how best to use it for my needs.

Folders in general are nice. Would like to be able to name (title) each home screen for its purpose.

Again, many thanks for your help. Succinct and informative.

Yes, that's the drawer.

I also figured out how to move folders to another tab. You just create the folder, which will put it on the apps tab. Then when choosing which apps to display on a different tab, you can choose the folder, which moves it to that tab. Hope that makes sense.

This post inspired me to organize my drawer a bit more than I had it. Not a big fan of folders within my drawer, but I created a bunch more tabs and now I feel a bit more organized.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

I've always been a bit @n@l retentive about organizing apps on every PDA I've owned. So NOVA is perfect for me. I just wish the Android apps that were a bit more involved had an accompanying PDF of instructions. Don't need videos or cartoons, just some basic instructions. Would help them with their user base who discard it because they haven't taken the time to learn it on their own.

Default Help with NOVA Drawers

Quote Originally Posted by DennisOS2 View Post
    I've always been a bit @n@l retentive about organizing apps on every PDA I've owned. So NOVA is perfect for me. I just wish the Android apps that were a bit more involved had an accompanying PDF of instructions. Don't need videos or cartoons, just some basic instructions. Would help them with their user base who discard it because they haven't taken the time to learn it on their own.
    That was less of an issue (at least with me) when the refund period was 24 hours. Now that it's only 15 minutes I don't have enough time to learn an app before having to decide if I want to keep it or not.