Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Default Re: Where does Android store Google Play music files

I have had the same problem and I am no newbie to the computer world but I can't find the file for the song I just bought. So I am writing to Google and since I am certain no one of importance over there will read it I will share it with you. Feel free to use this text anyway you want, you may even pass it off as your own thoughts if you like. I believe once an idea is voice it becomes the property of anyone that cares to listen. Creative people should be valued for what they are doing, not what they have done. If all ideas are free, no one will steal yours.

Dear Google,

I bought (I thought) a song from the play store. It was the muppets singing that "Manah manah" song. I was going to turn it into a ringtone for my wife as a holiday favor. But after I "bought" it, I found I could not find the file on my phone. After using methods a little beyond novice phone user abilities I gave up. So the way I see it you owe me 99cents. I admire your company, I really do. I defend you to my friends and colleagues. I detest the aggressive bully tactics of Apple, a company I used to defend in the 90s until they became exactly what I felt I was defending them against. Please tell me you were serious when you decided that "Don't be evil" was a good motto for a company that was dedicated to giving and innovating for which we are happy to compensate you. But this was wrong. I could have easily pirated a song like this but I wanted to play fair and follow your shining example. Now you have hidden what I consider mine from me unless I use it on your terms. I am also sure that I agreed to these terms but we both know none of your customer read all of the terms. I have scanned but it must be hidden pretty well. Other media providers do not behave this way. So I was shocked that you, my heroes, would do such a thing. That you would sell your core values for a buck...but if it is true, please charge me one more cent! I do not wish to underpay.

Walter Richardson
    Thanked by:

You could just download the song for free to your computer from your Google Play Music library website, then transfer it over to your phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Yeah, where were you three pages ago?

I figured it out. It still annoys me that songs are hidden on the phone somewhere. It doesn't seem like they should make it so difficult.

Um, you're welcome, I guess.

I don't work for Google, nor do I profess to know what they're thinking, but in my opinion, making it difficult to freely manipulate a downloaded song on your phone is Google's soft way of trying to discourage rampant piracy. Yes, you can download the track freely on your computer, but you're limited to downloading a track a total of twice from the web--or, you can download your music an unlimited number of times using Music Manager, but it has to be your entire​ library. So these are all little things that make it a little more difficult to download and distribute music willy-nilly.

I figured out where the downloaded music is on HTC One. On the phone, you have to use a file manager to sort through the files in a grid by largest size to smallest. The directory with the largest quantity of GB's is: storage/mobile/music
    from there you have to drill down through user names, file names, to the actual music files.
    it may be different on other phones. I copied this music to the phone via HTC Sync Manager

Quote Originally Posted by tommy6206yah View Post
    I bought an album using Google Play and can play it successfully. But I checked the Keep On Device option which I assume downloads it to the device? If this is true, where is it stored on my phone?
    I have had the same problem and just discovered where and how to find it. Go to the Google Play music app. Tap the menu button. Tap settings. Scroll down to location. I changed mine to external memory which is my sd card. Go to your sd card folder and go to android folder. The music should be in one of those files. Mine was in the bottom.

Thumbs down Re: Where does Android store Google Play music files

Google nexus 10 same google my music player problem, like sony, apple, MS-Gates, Verizon, ATT, COMCAST they know how to provide customers real fyck US service.

I have looked in sdcard-->Android-->data-->com.google.android.music-->files-->music AND sdcard-->Android-->data-->com.google.android.music-->cache-->music. Both are empty. And I know there is music there because I listen to it without any wireless access. (My Google Nexus is not connected to a plan of any kind and I don't have a wireless network at work.)

Let's try this again: WHERE are my Google Play music files on my Google Nexus? (Not in the previously mentioned locations. New answer required.)

Walter Richardson, excellent! Can I post this on Google plus please?

Dear Google,

I bought (I thought) a song from the play store. It was the muppets singing that "Manah manah" song. I was going to turn it into a ringtone for my wife as a holiday favor. But after I "bought" it, I found I could not find the file on my phone. After using methods a little beyond novice phone user abilities I gave up. So the way I see it you owe me 99cents. I admire your company, I really do. I defend you to my friends and colleagues. I detest the aggressive bully tactics of Apple, a company I used to defend in the 90s until they became exactly what I felt I was defending them against. Please tell me you were serious when you decided that "Don't be evil" was a good motto for a company that was dedicated to giving and innovating for which we are happy to compensate you. But this was wrong. I could have easily pirated a song like this but I wanted to play fair and follow your shining example. Now you have hidden what I consider mine from me unless I use it on your terms. I am also sure that I agreed to these terms but we both know none of your customer read all of the terms. I have scanned but it must be hidden pretty well. Other media providers do not behave this way. So I was shocked that you, my heroes, would do such a thing. That you would sell your core values for a buck...but if it is true, please charge me one more cent! I do not wish to underpay.

Walter Richardson

If you buy a song from Google Play Music and you want to be able to transfer or manipulate the file, the easiest way is to download it onto your computer from your Google Music library on the website. I know, it's a minor hassle, but it's very easily done.

Posted via Android Central App

I figured something out the other day. :-)
    So, I have a LG motion (now rooted but I doubt that had anything to do with it) and in the settings of google play music I have cache during playback checked and storage is set to external. The music I bought DOES show up in the before mentioned folders (android/data/com.google.android.music/files/music or cache or something) but ONLY after I've listened to the ENTIRE song already. And it only has numbers in the title (also like previously mentioned). It's saving it as cache as the song is playing for future use. But if you wait to long to get it or your cache is cleaned by some other app or something it'll disappear. Oh, And I may have told it to keep on device too. (Prob most definitely did.. ) Cut, paste, and rename people and I would do it not too long after listening to it. ;-)

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

I just found out that you can download the EACH SONG TWICE to your computer through the website on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkone1234 View Post
    I just found out that you can download the EACH SONG TWICE to your computer through the website on your computer.
    Welcome to Android Central! That's true, so if you download it once, it's a good idea to keep it safe somewhere on your local hard drive, in case you ever use up the download limit.

You can always download your entire library an unlimited number of times, but it has to be the entire library all at once (which can be huge). This can be done using the Google Music Manager program on your computer.

See this guide for more info on managing music: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...4-part-ii.html

That would explain why the music folder does not show up. I got away from apple because of that bull. I guess Android is no better. My phone is still under warranty. LG G2. I'll wait till its out of warranty to root it

But Android is still better in that regard. You can download any track from your Google Music library to your computer, then transfer it to your phone's internal storage or external SD card. Can't do that with the iPhone. The limitation for Google Music is that you can't download the track directly to your phone for manipulation. I consider this Google's soft way of discouraging music piracy.

Try this app. Works like a charm.

Luke Johnson above has the best solution for those with an SD card. If you go into the Play Music settings and change the storage location to external it will store the music under Android on the SD card. I then just renamed the files to the relevant song titles and moved them to my music folder on the SD card. Now I can play them on any music app. But I agree, Google makes it unnecessarily difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Garner View Post
    I have looked in sdcard-->Android-->data-->com.google.android.music-->files-->music AND sdcard-->Android-->data-->com.google.android.music-->cache-->music. Both are empty. And I know there is music there because I listen to it without any wireless access. (My Google Nexus is not connected to a plan of any kind and I don't have a wireless network at work.)

Let's try this again: WHERE are my Google Play music files on my Google Nexus? (Not in the previously mentioned locations. New answer required.)
    I have a Nexus 5, so I'm guessing it'll be in the same place on your GNex, as they are on the N5. You're music is located under "/data/data/com.google.android.music/files/music".... this folder has a '.nomedia' file in it, which is why only the Google Play Music app can readily access the files in this folder. Your GNex, if not already, will need to be rooted in order to view this root folder of your phone, I use Root Explorer.. but any file explorer which can gain Superuser permissions will work fine. I hope this helps... sorry it's so late though.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123