I can't get refunds anymore from Google Play

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi there guys!

I try a lot of apps/games, and I usually use the refund option a lot as a result. Whichever I like stay, the rest are refunded within the 15 mins. However, over the weekend, I unlocked bootloader, installed cwm and flashed a ROM (I was rooted a long time ago). I then realized something - I couldn't get refunds anymore.

So I restored via nandroid, and am now at the same point as before flashing. However, the problem of no refunds persists. Precious money for 3 apps gone to waste trying to see whether things worked or not.

So my question is, does Google blacklist those who flash ROMs from getting refunds? I can't think of any other possible solution. Unless, Google thought I refunded too many apps and decided to blacklist my account from further refunds (which is not fair imho).

Thanks!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I flash things all the time, and a minute ago I refunded on without issue. It may be because of your constant refunding. Check the EULA and see if there is a limit. Also, sometimes when you flash, it changes the identifier for the phone, the play store may not recognize the purchase and the refund as coming from the same device.

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
I think your second line is interesting. What I did was I flashed a ROM for a different tablet (A700) onto mine (Acer A510). So could there be conflict here?

Just to be sure, I can see the refund button when the app finishes downloading in the Play store. I can even click it and refund. But if I open the app, or navigate outside of Google Play, the refund button will be lost...as if the system has trouble tracking the device I purchased with. All this within a few seconds. Previously the refund button was good for 15 whole minutes.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Another regular flasher...erm, ROM installer...and no issues with refunding apps. It may have something to do with the ROM version you are installing and the actual device you are using. What's weird is that it seems to still be occurring even with a restore of the Nandroid. I would remove the account from the device (backup or sync important data) and uninstall play store updates (from within menu > application > all) and see if that fixes the problem.

I doubt Google would blacklist a rooted or someone refunding within the 15-minute window.

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I tried removing my account and reinstating it. I also cleared the data/cache in the Google Play app. Same thing. Can't refund. Driving me nuts this, because I just wasted $12 on 7 different apps in just a few short hours.

Also, I just realized, for all the new apps post-flashing I buy that have a license check in-built, it says something along the lines of "This application is not licensed. Please purchase it from Android Market/Google Play". (Never happened to any app/game before)

If anyone can help me get to the bottom of this, I will be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Have you considered contacting Google to get to the bottom of it? They should be able to figure it out.

They can also help facilitate you getting those refunds. I contacted them in the past and successfully got a refund.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That's some great advise, Devinator. OP, let us know what happens if you decide to contact Google -- others may be in the same boat and its good to know what the resolution was.

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so after using a brand new Google account to buy apps, I face the same issue. The refund button is there, but the moment I enter the app or exit Google Play, it disappears. I tried, and if I immediately click on refund, I do get refunded!

So, my thinking is Google did indeed blacklist me from getting refunds. Not just my account, but my credit card in fact. It takes some time for the system to recognize my account/card has been blacklisted I guess. I usually get 2/3 refunds a week, and this started sometime in August. I never thought this was a problem - of course the really good apps/games stay on my device.

The heartbreaking problem is in trying to verify all this on different devices, I made a total of 8 purchases. Kind of regret that though. Now, I will have a hard time convincing myself splashing above $3 for an app, considering I won't have the refund option available to me anymore.

I did contact Google yesterday, but what are the odds of them responding? If they do, good. Otherwise, just too bad for me. I wish they'd at least refund all those 8-odd apps as well!! Anyway, will keep you guys posted on any further development of this issue.

PS: I did some online searching and never came across anyone else in the same boat. Am I the first person to get blacklisted from getting refunds from Google? If so, that's quite an unenviable 'honour'.

Last edited:

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Lol.

I think it likely that they will get back to you. I think they contacted me that day, or, maybe the next day. And, they were very helpful.

I don't see how they can blacklist you. Part of the deal wth using Play is that you get to refund. If they don't let you, I'd think they'd be breaking their end of the deal. I'd say it's more likely that with the amount you usually refunds, something just got bugged out. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of it and they can refund you.

Also, I believe after the fifteen minute window is up, Google can no longer facilitate the refund and you have to go through the developer. They might be able to fix future refunds for you, but, probably not the eight you want refunded.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, just got a reply from Google. Looks like there is no such blacklist. Reply in full:

"Thanks for contacting us. I understand you are concerned in regards to your account. To clarify it for you, from our records, your account appears to be fine. Our refund policy for apps are catered for individuals like yourself that wish to try out an app. As long as you uninstall the app within 15 minutes of obtaining an app from Google Play, we will gladly issue you a refund.

I also understand that you've stated you did not get a refund for your recent app purchases past Modern Combat 3. I can see that some apps were refunded and some were not. Because, you did state clearly which of the ones you were keeping, I will need for you to reply to this email with the Google order numbers for the app purchases that you'd like refunded. You can find the Google order number by logging into your Google Wallet account at wallet.google.com.

Once I receive this information, I'll gladly investigate the issue further for you."

I am very confused now, because the community on XDA with this ROM have confirmed they do not face the same problem under the same circumstances. Heck, even the ROM creator showed himself buying, playing with other apps and refunding without so much of a problem. Moreover, this problem persists even when I have now flashed back to complete stock Acer ROM, totally unrooted and all remnants of the custom ROM thrown away.

Hopefully, Google has got an idea of what actually is going on.

Update:
In quicktime, I sent them the list of apps I want refunded and they've done it already! Good job Google...but I still want an explanation for the occurrence.

PSS:
Can anyone think of why this may be happening? Any other plausible suggestions?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Yea, I assumed they'd take care of you. In the meantime, do you have any other devices you could access your Google account from? If you do, and are willing to try, you could see if you have the refund issue on that device. If you don't, at least you know it's just an issue with this device.

Also, did you ever clear cache/data from Play? Figured I'd ask rather than looking back, on AC app, lol.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, just a heads up, the Google rep has closed the case. He was kind enough to give the refunds. He told me he didn't want to be involved where custom ROMs were involved, but he said a factory data reset would sort things out. Too bad I already tried that to no avail.

@Devinator, I reflashed stock Acer ROM, factory data reset AND cleared Google Play data/cache, but none work. I will surely get my hands on another device to see if the issue persists or not.

Thanks!

PS: Btw, I'm in no mood to 'try' buying an app now to see if things work or not. Will wait till Thursday when Angry Birds Star Wars comes out, and then update if the problem still is there or not.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, at least you got your refunds. I hope you don't have the problem in the future. Be sure to come back and let us know how that new purchase goes? I assume you plan to test it by attempting to refund it?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

himmatsj

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, will update here again tomorrow after getting Angry Birds Star Wars. I am not keeping my hopes too high though. Yes, I will buy it then refund. Doesn't matter if it doesn't work because will be buying this anyways.

FlyingSquash

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I just had the same problem tonight. I installed Repligo reader, within 2 minutes looked for the refund button but it was gone, only the uninstall one was there. I contacted google and withing minutes they refunded me (it was just a couple of minutes past the 15 actually).
I now know what must have happened. I believe I purchase this app and got refunded a year ago or so. The googleplay policy state that an app can only be refunded once! So that's it, though they should then implement a warning of some sort. I am sure it has/will happen to many thousands of people each year.

psydex

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
OP, what method did you use to contact Google play support about such case? Email? Their forum? I too have similar issue and I'd like to resolve it.

Winstonwhizzite

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi there guys!

I try a lot of apps/games, and I usually use the refund option a lot as a result. Whichever I like stay, the rest are refunded within the 15 mins. However, over the weekend, I unlocked bootloader, installed cwm and flashed a ROM (I was rooted a long time ago). I then realized something - I couldn't get refunds anymore.

So I restored via nandroid, and am now at the same point as before flashing. However, the problem of no refunds persists. Precious money for 3 apps gone to waste trying to see whether things worked or not.

So my question is, does Google blacklist those who flash ROMs from getting refunds? I can't think of any other possible solution. Unless, Google thought I refunded too many apps and decided to blacklist my account from further refunds (which is not fair imho).

Thanks!

I think I figured it out. I had my device rooted and had downloaded a couple of apps for free and refunded them. I then unroofed my device, rooted it again and tried to download the same apps over again. I could not refund them. You can only refund an app once, I can get other apps but those specific apps I had originally I would have to pay for this time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith