unroot for service exchange.

vito032

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi I got a Samsung Galaxy S2 I had it rooted and I unrooted to exchange for service.
It keeps freezing, rebooting and turning off by itself.
Is there any way that they are going to know it was rooted. I don't want to get charged for a replacement.

Thanks!!!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to get charged for a replacement.

I don't believe so.

However, I was sending a phone back once, and, while on the phone with the CSR, they were like, just so you know, if we find out this isn't a warranty issue, you will be charged this amount of money. As that is unacceptable to me, I asked how we could make it so that wouldn't happen. They told me to go into a Verizon store (one that can initiate an exchange), and, have them confirm that it was a warranty issue and that I wouldn't be charged. She made notes in the account so they could see all that we had been through on the phone, I went in, they checked a couple of things, and said, no, it's warranty, you wont be charged. And, that was that.

During that same interaction, the guy asked me if I had rooted, I said no. I then asked him, if I was, would he be able to know. He said, most likely not. The guy appeared to be being candid with me, but, ya never know.

phstratton

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Who is your carrier? As a sprint asc, a customer having their phone rooted is not a valid reason to decline service.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Who is your carrier? As a sprint asc, a customer having their phone rooted is not a valid reason to decline service.

Even for warranty work?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you unrooted it, they shouldn't know anyway. I would suggest doing what I said to ensure you don't get charged. That way you can get some assurance before you send it out.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

vito032

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I inspired it. I just wanted to make sure there want anything else I should do before sending it back.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I inspired it. I just wanted to make sure there want anything else I should do before sending it back.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

What does that mean? The only way I know of to ensure you wont get charged is to do what I said.

phstratton

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
The way our service center works is if you have tep then its free as long as the phone isnt physically damaged, and it costs $35 if they dont have tep. If they are under warranty and they want a repair for free then they are directed to the manufacturer.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
The way our service center works is if you have tep then its free as long as the phone isnt physically damaged, and it costs $35 if they dont have tep. If they are under warranty and they want a repair for free then they are directed to the manufacturer.

What carrier are you with? I am with Verizon and have TEC. Is that the same thing?