Do Google Play gift cards work for in-app purchases, too?

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Let's say I get a Google Play gift card and redeem it through the Play Store on my phone. Then, let's say I open my Comixology app and buy a digital comic; will it take it out of the credit from the gift card, or do the gift cards only let you buy stuff directly through the Play Store, itself?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to take a leap and say the Play cards will not work for in-app purchases unless you are re-directed to the Play Store...but then it really wouldn't be an in-app purchase.

Typically, the developer will have you purchase through Paypal or via a checkout system through their website.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, for a lot of the apps I've done in-app purchasing through, it looks like it sort of takes you to the Play Store to make the purchase, but I can't really tell, yanno? That's why I'm curious, because I can't quite tell if it's through the Play Store, or what, because they seem to direct to some sort of Google "checkout" interface for the purchases.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Well, for a lot of the apps I've done in-app purchasing through, it looks like it sort of takes you to the Play Store to make the purchase, but I can't really tell, yanno? That's why I'm curious, because I can't quite tell if it's through the Play Store, or what, because they seem to direct to some sort of Google "checkout" interface for the purchases.

I think the cards would work in that scenario. The only way to find out is to give it a try :) Are you trying to use Play Cards for in-app purchases?

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I haven't actually tried, yet. I'm not actually looking to buy them, personally, but with the holidays coming around, I'm kinda hard to buy for, so I just tell everyone to get me gift cards for things I like. I'm big on comic books now, particularly digital ones, through Comixology, but there are no Comixology gift cards, so I'm curious if using Play Store gift cards would work the same way.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You could ask for a Visa gift card and use that to make purchases to be on the safe side. I know if probably doesn't sound that great asking for it versus asking for a store specific card, but it gets you what you want rather than accepting gifts that you don't like.

I've searched Google a few times and couldn't find anything specific. If you decide to take the plunge please report back with your findings so that others will know.

matthew boyd1

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Let's say I get a Google Play gift card and redeem it through the Play Store on my phone. Then, let's say I open my Comixology app and buy a digital comic; will it take it out of the credit from the gift card, or do the gift cards only let you buy stuff directly through the Play Store, itself?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance