1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WiFi Direct for Windows 7

Is there a client for Windows 7 that will use WiFi Direct? Of the miriad ways to move files around, it would surely be the fastest and most convenient, especially in one-off situations - that is, most of them. Using Airdroid or Kies or a web based solution consumes more time in setup than in use. Dropbox would seem to be the best alternative so far, but it's very laggy. Using local SMB shares requires file manager fiddling with a touch device. So, no really great solution, just a bunch of OK ones.

To be clear, I have a Win 7 machine on a LAN, which has a WiFi router set up so that my phone and tablet can 'see' the Internet, and with the right file manager, the local SMB shares too. What I want is to see the Windows machine from my phone & tablet, using WiFi, without spoiling the immediacy and speed of WiFi Direct. And of course with its limited PCIe slots I can't just give my desktop machine a WiFi NIC even if I wanted to. I hope there's a way to do this
    Troll Headhunter

ROM
    Drew's CMX/Stock/Stock

Default Re: WiFi Direct for Windows 7

I personally use wifi file explorer, found . There is also the 1$ pro version (worth the buck) .

AirDroid
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the replies, these are what I was trying to avoid however. For instance "... the exact address you should point another browser on the same Wi-Fi network toward.." instruction using web based file browsing, or a complete web app in Airdroid - I don't necessarily want to control the whole phone, just send files to and from it.

I was just amazed at how clean and fast WiFi Direct is for sending a single file to someone: no setup, no browsers and IP addresses. Yes I could be seen as niggling. And why not? These machines are supposed to drive for us to some degree, and not make us aware of every turn in the road that requires action. I suppose I could use a memory card to get the job done, but I want something better.

You might of been able to do something but you miss one point of WiFi Direct. WiFi Direct is designed for routerless connection management. So the problem with you being able to do anything with WiFi Direct and your Windows7 machine is it lacks a WiFi device directly connected without having to be managed by a router. If your Windows7 machine had a WiFi card you would at least be able to attempt this.