Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Laggy keyboard (stock and swiftkey)

Hey guys,
    I have a gs2 lte with rogers and I've had the phone for about a year now..very happy with it, until recently. A couple weeks ago I noticed that my keyboard has started to get really laggy. I thought it might be something to do with swiftkey, so I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but that didn't fix the problem. I even tried using the stock gingerbread keyboard (yes gingerbread). So I thought maybe if I do a factory reset it'll change everything. I've been putting off the ICS update for my phone for a very long time simply because I was too lazy, but I thought hey if I'm going to reset my phone I might as well update to ICS, so I did. The stock ICS keyboard was STILL laggy to my amazement, and nothing I do can seem to stop the lag!! It's so frustrating! I text alot, and so the having a laggy keyboard is so annoying. Has anybody else had a similar issue? Or have any tips on what I could do to possibly solve this issue?
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Default Re: Laggy keyboard (stock and swiftkey)

Go into your apps, find any app relating to keyboard, and, clear cache/data. I use the stock keyboard on my X2 and it's Multi-touch keyboard.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I tried clearing my cache. I just downloaded https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...fe.cache&hl=en
    Didn't seem to work. Maybe it is not a cache problem? Are there any other reasons why my keyboard could me laggy?

Also it might be a hardware problem, I dropped my phone in the lake over the summer (my life flashed before my eyes). I took it out, put it in rice for 3 days, and it miraculously worked! I went to my cell phone provider to see if anything was wrong, and they were surprised that there was no indication of any water damage. Do you think that my keyboard could be laggy to due a hardware failure from possible water damage? This happened in august, but I didn't notice anything wrong with it.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Sorry for the second post, I didn't read that my post had to be approved
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

What? There is only one post. Did you try what I suggested?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes I did. Maybe I didn't do it properly? I just downloaded a random cache clearing app from the playstore .
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Go into Settings >> Apps >> All, then look for any app that might be related to your keyboard, like I said, mine is called Multi-touch keyboard. Select it, then clear cache/data. Take a look through all the apps until you find something like that.

As for it being hardware damage. It's possible, but, I don't know why it would only affect your keyboard.

If these things don't work, you can always try a factory reset.

If that doesn't work, you can always try talking to your carrier. Maybe you can get a phone replacement. If the phone still isn't working properly after a factory reset, they would need to replace it. Even though you dropped it in water, it shouldn't matter, so long as it didn't trip the water indicator.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ok I cleared the cache through settings, so the cache is "0.00B" now, but it still didn't work . And yeah I didn't trip the water indicator so they should be able to fix it for free since it's been under a year.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I've also realized that my keyboard is only laggy on certain apps... For some reason when I'm typing on chrome it doesn't seem to be as laggy as when I'm texting or tweeting.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

If you have done a factory reset and it didn't fix the issue, bring it into a store for your carrier and show them the problem. They'll diagnose it as being an issue that isn't your fault, and, set you up for a warranty exchange. Safest to do it in the store so there is no risk of them rejecting it for warranty exchange and trying to charge you.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

For anybody reading this post and wondering if it was resolved. I never really fixed it, but i knew it was something to do with ics so I just rooted my phone and flashed on cm10 (and then later cm9 to test if it was ics or just the stock ics) and my keyboard works fine now.