1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Stock Nexus 7 Randomly did a Factory Reset - WHY? Help greatly appreciated.

I had a stock Nexus 7 (16GB Launch Unit) with root access. It was running 4.2 for a couple of days now (from the OTA).

I went to bed last night and everything was fine. When I woke up this morning, I was greeted with the "WELCOME" screen that made me re-add by Google Account. Once logged in, EVERYTHING was gone (factory reset). There was no information about what caused the factory reset.

My only theory on how this could have happened is that, because I'm on my employer's exchange account, they may have done a remote factory reset (although this seems unlikely to have happened between 1am and 7am on a Saturday morning).

QUESTIONS:
    1. Is there any kind of logging tool built into Android so I can see what happened?
    2. Could anything else have caused this? I'm pretty sure I didn't have any malicious apps as I only download mainstream apps directly from the Play Store.

EDIT: I noticed all of my directories appear to have been moved into sdcard/0/ (where I *THINK* the /0/ is new. I'm not 100% on this being new and I'm not sure if this means anything but figured I'd add this.
    Last edited by jmd494; 11-17-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Default Re: Stock Nexus 7 Randomly did a Factory Reset - WHY? Help greatly appreciated.

I just received mine last night, had it update my apps from my phone account, and then updated the OS to 4.2. Just now I had it in my pocket in sleep mode, and when I went to check it again it was looking for a wifi signal in Polish (the part of the Welcome stage that looks for a wifi signal). In other words, it did a factory reset.