Razr M Google calendar sync overwrites blank fields on device from server

Adam Wagman

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm encountering a strange behavior when syncing my Google calendar to the standard calendar app on my Droid Razr M (running Android 4.1.1). Almost everything works fine, including syncing events, deleting events, etc. However, if I have an event that has been synced already (i.e. the event is visible both on the phone and on a PC browser), and if that event has a text field (like "Location" or "Description") that has some text in it, then if I completely delete the text on the phone's version of the event, the text reappears after just a few seconds; clearly the event on the server is copying itself back onto the event on the phone. If I delete the text on the PC, then the text gets properly deleted on the phone also.

Note that everything other than completely deleting a text field on the phone works fine. e.g., I can alter (but not delete) the text on the phone and then the PC gets the correct update.

Any idea how to prevent this behavior?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this is a basic question, but are you sure you're saving the event again after deleting the text on your phone?

Adam Wagman

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite sure. Here's exactly what happens.
1) I have an event that's already been synced to both the phone and the server. Let's say the title is "My event" and the location is "Some notes". If I look at the daily calendar overview, I see the event in the calendar with the text "My event Some notes".
2) On the phone, I open the event and edit it to delete the text "Some notes". I click "done", and the phone goes back to displaying the daily calendar overview, and it also pops up a notification saying "Event saved".
3) In the overview on the phone, I now see that the event correctly displays just "My event".
4) But, if I just sit there staring at the phone for 15-30 seconds, the overview magically updates the event to say "My event some notes" again. Clearly it must be syncing the text back from the server.

Note that if in step 2 I instead do the deletion on the server, then the text would stay deleted on the server and would correctly update the phone to also delete the text.

Thanks,
Adam

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams