LG Escape SD card Formatting Issues

Brody Bard

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys I am new here. Just wondering if you can help me with a little sd card problem. There are no options in the settings to format the sd card, just mounting and unmounting as well as total space etc. I am running ICS 4.0.4 and am not rooted thanks for any help! :)
Also, I was not sure if the settings were created by LG because they are different from the other versions I have seen.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
All SD cards are ready to use out of the package, so is there a particular reason you want to format yours? As far as I know, you can't format the SD card using stock Android. There might be 3rd party apps that can do this. Why not just format it in your desktop or laptop?

Brody Bard

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I guess i did not specify, I was primarily wanting to use it as a storage for apps and music as I only get about 2 gigs internal. I cant move my apps over even with the App 2 SD application. It says that the sd card does not exist or is emulated, however my phone clearly detects it and reads it (although nothing is on it).

Brody Bard

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Very enlightening indeed. I'm not an appohlic or anything like that. So as far as music goes, i have 4 gigs worth i would like to put on my phone. Currently i am using the Google Play Music app to stream my library from the cloud. I have to keep clearing the cache however so i have room for updates etc. However this option is sort of a data hog and even when i use wifi, it takes a few seconds to load each song. Do i have to put the music on the sd card from my laptop, because there is no option download to sd card from the app. (Probably related to the post u showed me.) Anyways once i do that do i have to use the stock music player and will it detect the files on the card? Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I find that the primary benefit of the external SD card is to load it up with media (i.e., music and video files), as well as have the camera save photos and videos primarily there instead of internal memory, since you can't move apps there. If you load music files to your SD card, the stock music player should be able to detect it and play it, but stock Android players can often be fairly barebones, and also can have trouble reading all of the tags correctly. I would use the Google Play Music app, which can detect files on your SD card, and which has a decent feature set.

It's surprising to me that your phone has that little onboard memory. Many phones these days have 8-16 GB.

Brody Bard

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a million. I do agree my phone does seem to a little on the short side when it comes to memory. Hopefully though I will get a Nexus 4 soon. Really like the sound of that phone.I guess i will continue to use google play music. I like it so far and think i will stick with it. Again thanks a bunch :)