How to transfer data to new phone

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a droid x, but over the weekend I got a razr maxx. What is the best way to transfer the data I want to keep, while not transferring data I don't need onto my new phone. My sd card seems to have a lot of files on it other than just my pictures and videos. I have titanium backup with all of my apps and data backed up. Should I only backup and restore user apps? Or I should I backup and restore user apps + system apps? My main concern is transferring things I don't need on my new phone. I don't want to clutter it up with useless files and data from old apps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have a droid x, but over the weekend I got a razr maxx. What is the best way to transfer the data I want to keep, while not transferring data I don't need onto my new phone. My sd card seems to have a lot of files on it other than just my pictures and videos. I have titanium backup with all of my apps and data backed up. Should I only backup and restore user apps? Or I should I backup and restore user apps + system apps? My main concern is transferring things I don't need on my new phone. I don't want to clutter it up with useless files and data from old apps.

You can only backup User Apps+Data, do not backup system apps, you'll have issues if you try and install onto the new device.

Other than that, simply copy all the data from the sd card onto the computer desktop and transfer the data to the new device. If you want to keep the same sd card there shouldn't be an issue with inserting it into the new device and have access to all the information -- if there is a separate internal sd card then it will need to b transfered. There are apps in the Play Store to backup text messages and call logs: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ckupRestore&feature=nav_result&token=sunoB3n6 and https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...FsbExvZ0JhY2t1cFJlc3RvcmUiXQ..&token=qQ7h3Xoa

When you get the new device I would suggest rooting it in pure stock form (do not install anything other than the root files) and make a Nandroid backup so you at least have a stock working ROM. This way you can revert back to it if there are issues with any files you restored, such as force closes or reboots.

Hope this helps :).

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. You saved me from making a huge mess. I would have restored system data as well. After taking a closer look at my apps, there really isn't anything that I can't do without. I could just download the ones I want to keep onto my new phone from the play store. If this is the case, is there anything on my sd card that I need to keep, other than pictures and videos? Could I just copy pics and videos on my laptop and totally erase my sd card? I plan on doing a factory reset to my old phone and giving it to my mom.

masblueman

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
There are a lot of apps which have a backup and restore feature which get put on the SD card. Also any of your apps data maybe stored on the SD card so I would not delete what is on the card until you know you don't need it.

I would not do a factory wipe on your okd device until you are completely satisfied everything is on your new phone. It took me a couple of days to get everything moved over and to make sure I had all my old data before I wiped mine.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-N7100

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I have many apps that would store data or backups. Most of them are news/sports apps, or apps such as Netflix and redbox. I think the only 2 apps I have that would store data are games flow free and amazing Alex. I'm not too concerned about losing the data from those.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't think I have many apps that would store data or backups. Most of them are news/sports apps, or apps such as Netflix and redbox. I think the only 2 apps I have that would store data are games flow free and amazing Alex. I'm not too concerned about losing the data from those.

If you don't mind losing certain data than by all means give the sd card a re-format :). There are hidden files created by certain apps to cache information or serve as a place to store data for that particular app. It would be wise to keep a copy of photos and video on your laptop for safe keeping.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
iCloud can transfer data from iPhone to new iPhone.
Tap "Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup"> "Back Up Now" on the old one.
Then, set up the new device and select "Restore from iCoud backup".
Sign in with the same apple id to regain the old data.

What does this have to do with transferring data from Android to Android, or even iPhone to Android?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21