Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PvilleComp
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default SD Card Damaged?

Hi,

I've recently been having a few problems with an SD card that I own. I thought I'd try on here to see if I could get any help before setting on a different forum. Anyway, the SD card is a SanDisk Mobile Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card Class 10 and I've had it for 4 months. I used it as an external backup for media from my PC, music mainly and was working fine until a couple of days ago. Since then, it's not worked properly at all. Below's a list of events;

- I tried formatting it the old fashioned way, through My Computer on Windows, which said the card couldn't be formatted because the 'device media is write-protected'

- I also tried formatting on MiniTool Partition Wizard. Strangely, this didn't seem to find a problem formatting the card but each time the formatting had finished, the card would immediately disappear from the list of devices. So I'd eject and plug the card back in, and the formatting doesn't stick. If I formatted it for example to Fat32, it would eject itself, I'd plug it back in to find it went back to 'logical' format.

- I've tried SDFormatter and HP USB Disk Format Tool, both of which said the card couldn't be formatted.

-Lastly, I tried it with my Android phone to see if reformatting it on there would work. Nothing.

Lastly, I did a 'surface check' on it in MiniTool and I've attached the results below.

If anyone can help, that'd be great.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SD Card Damaged?-minitool-surface-scan-sd-card-64gb-22-41.png  

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Default Re: SD Card Damaged?

Looks like the card is going bad - I would backup now and get a new card.

These thing do have a read/write life. Better safe than sorry.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I'm not surprised to hear you say it's on it's way out really, that 'surface check' says it all, I guess. Not impressed that it's shot in 4 months, though. Thanks for the advice.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Remember - the best stat any storage company will give you is "Mean Time" till failure. By definition, half won't make it.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Haha that says enough about my knowledge of SD cards, I've never heard of mean time until failure. I just went by the fact that it had loads of storage and a massive warranty. Still, that's a helpful learning curve. Incidentally, if the warranty's so long, why would SanDisk provide such a warranty if they have knowledge that the SD card won't last that long, sounds counterproductive to me.

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

It's not just SD Cards - it's all storage, including Hard Drives. I would imagine the Warranty length is because half will make it and beyond, and a little marketing savvy.

You usually have to pay the shipping to them for a warranty replacement, most people won't bother if the price point is low enough. I've seen cheap Network cards with a "Lifetime Warranty" because who is going to pay $15 in shipping to replace a $10 card?

Frankly, I wish the Storage Companies would start focusing on life and reliability rather than size. A 3TB hard drive for $99 is great... until it dies.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

i also bought this SanDisk Mobile Ultra 32GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card Class 10 and after a coupple of months use it started producing error "damaged sd card", "write protected"
    then i ussed HDD Low LEVEL Format tool in safe mode in win 7 and it worked, then a quick format in windows 7 and at last formated using my android.
    hope it will help...

Default Odp: SD Card Damaged?

Hard drives has much bigger fail rate and shorter lifespan as its mechanical driven device and use magnetic propeties at its basis.

Wysyłane z mojego GT-N8000 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Default Re: Odp: SD Card Damaged?

PC to extsdcard; card damaged?

These type of threads are everywhere!
    I am on my 2nd Sandisk 64gb micro sd card and after a week it is starting to act up, but only when I transfer files to it, ie new music.
    Get the "damaged sd card"
    I sent to Settings>Storage and remounted the card...ok after doing that everything is there.

Never a random damaged or unmounted message...yet.