SD Card Damaged?

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've recently been having a few problems with an SD card that I own. I thought I'd try on here to see if I could get any help before setting on a different forum. Anyway, the SD card is a SanDisk Mobile Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card Class 10 and I've had it for 4 months. I used it as an external backup for media from my PC, music mainly and was working fine until a couple of days ago. Since then, it's not worked properly at all. Below's a list of events;

- I tried formatting it the old fashioned way, through My Computer on Windows, which said the card couldn't be formatted because the 'device media is write-protected'

- I also tried formatting on MiniTool Partition Wizard. Strangely, this didn't seem to find a problem formatting the card but each time the formatting had finished, the card would immediately disappear from the list of devices. So I'd eject and plug the card back in, and the formatting doesn't stick. If I formatted it for example to Fat32, it would eject itself, I'd plug it back in to find it went back to 'logical' format.

- I've tried SDFormatter and HP USB Disk Format Tool, both of which said the card couldn't be formatted.

-Lastly, I tried it with my Android phone to see if reformatting it on there would work. Nothing.

Lastly, I did a 'surface check' on it in MiniTool and I've attached the results below.

If anyone can help, that'd be great.

Thanks

Attachments

• Minitool Surface Scan SD Card 64GB 22-41.png
    Minitool Surface Scan SD Card 64GB 22-41.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 16

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Looks like the card is going bad - I would backup now and get a new card.

These thing do have a read/write life. Better safe than sorry.

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not surprised to hear you say it's on it's way out really, that 'surface check' says it all, I guess. Not impressed that it's shot in 4 months, though. Thanks for the advice.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Remember - the best stat any storage company will give you is "Mean Time" till failure. By definition, half won't make it. ;)

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Haha that says enough about my knowledge of SD cards, I've never heard of mean time until failure. I just went by the fact that it had loads of storage and a massive warranty. Still, that's a helpful learning curve. Incidentally, if the warranty's so long, why would SanDisk provide such a warranty if they have knowledge that the SD card won't last that long, sounds counterproductive to me.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
It's not just SD Cards - it's all storage, including Hard Drives. I would imagine the Warranty length is because half will make it and beyond, and a little marketing savvy.

You usually have to pay the shipping to them for a warranty replacement, most people won't bother if the price point is low enough. I've seen cheap Network cards with a "Lifetime Warranty" because who is going to pay $15 in shipping to replace a $10 card?

Frankly, I wish the Storage Companies would start focusing on life and reliability rather than size. A 3TB hard drive for $99 is great... until it dies.

Ritesh Patel

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
i also bought this SanDisk Mobile Ultra 32GB Micro SDXC UHS-I Card Class 10 and after a coupple of months use it started producing error "damaged sd card", "write protected"
then i ussed HDD Low LEVEL Format tool in safe mode in win 7 and it worked, then a quick format in windows 7 and at last formated using my android.
hope it will help...:)

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: SD Card Damaged?

Hard drives has much bigger fail rate and shorter lifespan as its mechanical driven device and use magnetic propeties at its basis.

Wysyłane z mojego GT-N8000 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

GS4Bob

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze