Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ringtones mystery

My wife has one of these ringtone apps installed (it's listed as "1000+ Ringtones" in the store, here; when installed, it's just named "Ringtones"). In principle, this worked fine (and had decent ringtones, too), but what baffles me is how/where the ringtones my wife selected get installed; plus, I would like to be able to rename the ringtones to give them more friendly names. Right now, they have names like "musici16.mp3", rather than something like "Romantic Guitar". She has installed only two such ringtones through this app.

I have looked for the ringtones using WiFi Explorer, and I can see both of the ringtones folders (in /system/media, and in /mnt/sdcard), but neither of these seems to contain the files in question. Instead, I can see a folder "FashionRingtones" in /mnt/sdcard, but that one contains roughly 150 mp3 files, including the ones I can see in the Settings app.

So, my question is, does anybody know where/how this app has installed the ringtones that show up in Settings->Sounds?

ROM
    xtrrom 4.6.5

Default Re: ringtones mystery

i suggest you download a good file manager such as astro or es file manager. both are really good and will allow you to see everything as well rename files, copy, paste, move, etc.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

O.k., thanks. Any preferences of one over the other? Both look roughly the same to me. Is es ad-free?
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,011 Global Posts

This is why I manage my own ringtones and update the MP3's ID3 tags so that it displays what I want it to display.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

ROM
    xtrrom 4.6.5

Quote Originally Posted by Pirx01 View Post
    O.k., thanks. Any preferences of one over the other? Both look roughly the same to me. Is es ad-free?
    I honestly don't know if it's ad free or not, it's been a while since I've used Es. I'm kinda stuck in a rut and just keep using astro as my goto file manager. Es was not in any way difficult to use, it's a very nice manager, I was just more familiar with Astro. You won't go wrong with either, personal preference is the main difference.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    This is why I manage my own ringtones and update the MP3's ID3 tags so that it displays what I want it to display.
    Ahah! So you're saying the name that is displayed in the Settings->Sounds app is determined from the ID3 tag? That's excellent! Once I figure out where the file resides, I can edit the ID3 tag, and have it displayed the way I want it. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again!
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,011 Global Posts

Ahah! So you're saying the name that is displayed in the Settings->Sounds app is determined from the ID3 tag? That's excellent! Once I figure out where the file resides, I can edit the ID3 tag, and have it displayed the way I want it. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again!
    The Android phones I've had all have displayed the Title in the ID3 tag as the name for the ringtone.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Update: Unfortunately, I'm back at the same question I had before: I don't understand where the entries for those two ringtones are coming from. ES File Explorer only allows me to look at /mnt/sdcard, and the only location in there that shows these files is FashionRingtones. However, there's more than a hundred additional mp3s in there that do not show in Sounds settings, so I still don't understand how those entries got there, and how I would get rid of them if I wanted.

ROM
    xtrrom 4.6.5

Give me a bit, I'm redownloading Rd right now. You can see a lot more than just built in sd with it, but I've got to see it to tell you how to get there.

ROM
    xtrrom 4.6.5

Well they've made changes eng I can't figure it out either, just grab astro and I can walk you through it.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

O.k., so what should I do once I have Astro installed? My wife has left with her phone, but I'll get back to this tonight.

Thanks for your help!

ROM
    xtrrom 4.6.5

O.k., so what should I do once I have Astro installed? My wife has left with her phone, but I'll get back to this tonight.

Thanks for your help!
    Ok, when you open Astro, click manage my files. It will open to /mnt/sdcard. If you don't see whet you need there hit the up arrow at the top of the screen and you will go to /mnt. On that screen you will see sdcard-ext, check in there. If you still don't see it hit the up arrow again and you will go to / . If you need to go this far, start out by looking in the system folder.
    Good luck

Sent from my A100 using Android Central Forums