Using multiple TTS engines

Abers86

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone knew how to set up an android phone to use multiple text-to-speech engines without having to go to the settings to switch back and forth between them. I currently use IVONA in Anki for learning languages where IVONA's range of different voices is perfect. However, when using TTS for ebooks or RSS feeds I'd rather the CereProc's Scottish voice. While it seems you can have more than one engine active whichever you select as the default (even with "always use my settings" turned off) seems to override whatever you select in other apps. This means if IVONA is set as default and I select CereProc in FBReader it'll use IVONA or not play at all. Vice versa with Anki.
Going through all the menu settings to switch between them is ridiculous for something that should be so simple - and how you would expect it to function. Does anyone know if it is possible to permanently associate a particular TTS engine with a particular app ignoring whatever is set to default? Or failing that - is it possible to create a shortcut I could have on the home-screen to quickly switch between the two instead of going through all the sub-menus?

Cheers!

Abers86

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Update: Found a slight fix to this in that it lowers the faffing about. Got a copy of "any cut" which lets you create custom shortcuts and made one to the text-to-speech settings which now sits on my dock. There remains slight issue when switching between engines that they don't always load and mess about with the settings. Still be a lot better if it was possible to assign different TTS engines to different apps.