Google Play Music

sparker781

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Is it possible to upload just 1 or 2 songs to the Google Music app? Also I am debating to whether or not to just delete everything on my Google Play list and then just reupload my whole iTunes Library so it mimicks that?

Thoughts?

jamojamo

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
To upload just a subsection of songs you can create a playlist and then choose the Upload by Playlist option. Once they are uploaded you can revise the playlists etc.

Also, one thing I didn't know was that Google Play Music on my Nexus 7 would "Automatically Cache" songs I've uploaded to Google down to my device and they would be stored there temporarily (until space is needed they say) - well that was a surprise to me and a disappointment. You can turn that off - before uploading to Google - by opening Google Play Music App and then go to the Settings menu and "uncheck" the Automatically Cache option.

Unfortunately I didn't know it would automatically cache until I created a "holiday song playlist" and uploaded, then I saw my tablet downloading it :)

At least that's temporary.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Just a guess, but but maybe they are recommendations from folks in you G+ circles?

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

sparker781

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Just a guess, but but maybe they are recommendations from folks in you G+ circles?

Steve

I don't thnk thats the case. IT also added some weird tracks to my albums on my phone...The Google Play Music manager does not have said albums in the list.....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think when you first set up your Play Music account, you get a few free songs from Google.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

sparker781

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I think when you first set up your Play Music account, you get a few free songs from Google.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

That makes sense

- - - Updated - - -

Steve

Steve

How do you like the Droid DNA? Is it the next big thing?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense

- - - Updated - - -

Steve

How do you like the Droid DNA? Is it the next big thing?

So far I find the DNA to be a great device. The battery life is better than my GNex and the storage is sufficient for my needs. The screen is absolutely incredible. It may all be hype, but I don't like my GNex screen at all anymore.

I also find the size to be perfect. This is the first device that I have owned that two thumb typing in portrait was comfortable and fast.

Maybe I'm still in the new phone glow, but it seems to hit all the right spots for my use.

Steve

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how do I keep Google Music to not include my "notifications/alert sounds/ringtones"? I have one or two folders on my Galaxy Nexus that are strictly for alert tones and such misc things as that, and that has worked fine until I began using Google Music. I love Good Music, but it's really only funny once or twice when you're listening to the collection you love on shuffle and the next thing you hear is some really loud notification tone you only have on there as an option to someday use as an SMS/MMS/E-mail/etc tone...sometimes followed by yet another, different one (the "randomness" algorithmyn Google uses doesn't seem to be very good to me yet, compared to my Zune).

Any ideas? Thanks guys!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could try the ".nomedia" method, but it sounds like you have to jump through a few more hoops to get it to work. I've never tried it, but here's a link where someone was able to get rid of unwanted images from the Gallery. You can try substituting Google Play Music for Gallery in the instructions.

[SOLVED] .nomedia doesn't work under Honeycomb & ICS

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
You could try the ".nomedia" method, but it sounds like you have to jump through a few more hoops to get it to work. I've never tried it, but here's a link where someone was able to get rid of unwanted images from the Gallery. You can try substituting Google Play Music for Gallery in the instructions.

[SOLVED] .nomedia doesn't work under Honeycomb & ICS

Thanks for the advice! I began to try this - got all the way until I hesitated when Google Music had 4.65GB worth of data and I wondered if I really wanted to erase all of that (settings, files, etc), when I realized I still want Handcent SMS and all other third party apps to be able to pull from this folder on my phone when I am using them, to select these tones for various things. So I don't want to permanently hide them (permanently meaning until I go in and delete the .nomedia file again). I wish Google Music had what the gallery replacement app QuickPic has - you can click any album and just tap "Hide" and all it does is hide it so it's not available in the QuickPic app anymore, though doesn't delete it from your phone or mess with any other apps which need access to it.

Surely I am not the only one who has this problem with Google Music? I'd think it would be very common if others create a folder on their phone full of various notification tones and ringtones. Am I the only one that does that? I like my custom tones lol.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wish Google Music had what the gallery replacement app QuickPic has - you can click any album and just tap "Hide" and all it does is hide it so it's not available in the QuickPic app anymore, though doesn't delete it from your phone or mess with any other apps which need access to it..

Hey, that's a good tip--I didn't know I could do that with QuickPic!

I wonder if Handcent and other apps would still be able to find ringtones if you did the .nomedia thing. You could always try it, and if it doesn't work, delete the .nomedia file. Deleting Play Music data isn't a big deal--you just set it up again with your Google account, and it'll start syncing again. Takes several minutes to completely sync, depending on how much music you have, though.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey, that's a good tip--I didn't know I could do that with QuickPic!

I wonder if Handcent and other apps would still be able to find ringtones if you did the .nomedia thing. You could always try it, and if it doesn't work, delete the .nomedia file. Deleting Play Music data isn't a big deal--you just set it up again with your Google account, and it'll start syncing again. Takes several minutes to completely sync, depending on how much music you have, though.

Glad I could help you while you try to help me, too! :-D Aren't forums great? haha
Yeah I love QuickPic. I could never use another phone without it. Thanks for letting me know the google music data wouldn't be a big deal. My collection is around 4,000 songs so compared to a lot of people that's pretty much nothing I'm sure. I suppose it wouldn't take too terribly long to reload. And I just checked the Google Music settings panel, and there are almost no settings to even mess with in there; not like I'd waste much time re-doing those lol.

It's really late here and I am falling asleep, so I will do this in the morning tomorrow and post here letting you know how it goes. Thanks again.

mferris23

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Google Play nor the music app on my DNA copied my playlists over. On my computer and the HTC Sync-they are all there-but on my phone it's just one big music dump. Any ideas? I am NOT going to re-organize 1000 songs on my phone! Thanks in advance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance