Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GMJeff
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help please!

Is there anyway to bounce the wifi from your phone to other devices. Like not tether over 3g but using the connected wifi on your phone and bounce it from your phone to like my Xbox. Because I can pick it up with my phone but not with my Xbox. Because its stronger on my phone. So I wondering if that was possible.

Global Posts
    980 Global Posts

Default Re: Help please!

You can make some of the newer devices into hotspots, but from what you are asking, it sounds like you want to use it as an access point where the phone is just a signal extender. Is that correct?

If your phone is receiving a wifi signal that is strong, i would have to say your xbox should be receiving the same signal strength if they are in the same area. Therefore, there may be something wrong with your xbox wifi that is interfering with the data speed. May just be a setting. If your NAT is not set to open on the xbox, that can slow it down a lot.

If you have the old cream xbox with a plug in wifi adapter, i would have to say that the adapter could be bad, or the software (drivers) could have issues. It is also a "G" connection, not an "N" like most newer devices. That alone is a difference in speed.

I also believe that if you use your phone as a hotspot, it uses the cell radio, not wifi. There are ways around this with rooting and the posts can be found here on this forum or over on xdadevelopers dot com.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    braxton355 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Help please!

Quote Originally Posted by Jevangil View Post
    You can make some of the newer devices into hotspots, but from what you are asking, it sounds like you want to use it as an access point where the phone is just a signal extender. Is that correct?

If your phone is receiving a wifi signal that is strong, i would have to say your xbox should be receiving the same signal strength if they are in the same area. Therefore, there may be something wrong with your xbox wifi that is interfering with the data speed. May just be a setting. If your NAT is not set to open on the xbox, that can slow it down a lot.

If you have the old cream xbox with a plug in wifi adapter, i would have to say that the adapter could be bad, or the software (drivers) could have issues. It is also a "G" connection, not an "N" like most newer devices. That alone is a difference in speed.

I also believe that if you use your phone as a hotspot, it uses the cell radio, not wifi. There are ways around this with rooting and the posts can be found here on this forum or over on xdadevelopers dot com.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Android Central Forums
    Thank you I just decided to get a wifi extender!

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2