Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default What to do? Upgrade or Wait

    I currently have a Thunderbolt and I am have upgrade pricing on Verizon. My Thunderbolt works but has its annoyances...

    I see my options as follows.
    1. Upgrade right now to a Samsung S3. I feel like going to S3 might be buying slightly old technology??
    2. Wait a few more months and see what hits the shelves. Not really wanting to wait more than through January though.
    2b. Maybe root my Thunderbolt and get a ICS version on it. Who knows when it will come from Verizon.
    3. ??

    My basic phone qualifications are as follows:
    1. Needs to be close to cutting edge from a spec perspective
    2. SD slot.
    3. Larger form factor (not Note II size)
    4. Decent accessory options (I had to wait 3 months to get a decent case for my TB)

    I would buy the HTC DNA now if it were't for the lack of a SD slot.

    Would you wait to see what comes? Have any other thoughts? I have a feeling that S4 is too far off from actually being in my hands to wait that long.

    Thanks.
    Matt
  2. #2  

    Default Re: What to do? Upgrade or Wait

    Well, the S3 is going on 6 months old, but while it's "old" it's still a top-of-the-line phone. I don't really picture a new generation of high-level phones hitting until March or April or thereabouts, with the S4 hitting in June/July again. So if your timeframe is January, I'd just get the S3 now.

    It's really a great phone. But you know....there's always something around the corner. Just no announcements of anything yet that I know of.
  3. #3  
    PvilleComp's Avatar

    Posts
    4,261 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

    Default Re: What to do? Upgrade or Wait

    I spent an hour drooling over the HTC DNA this weekend at a VZW store. Seriously, they had to mop after I left.

    The phone does have 16Gig of storage, which is more then I've ever used on a smart phone, but I'm apparently one of the few who don't use their phone as a media device for storing movies and music.

    If it's a deal breaker for you I understand, but I would seriously go play with a live model at a store. This phone is a beast.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  4. #4  
    Mr.Mcgoo's Avatar

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

    Default Re: What to do? Upgrade or Wait

    I went to VZ today and messed around with the GN2, GS3 and the DNA. Stupid move for me now I want a new phone but will loose my unlimited plan. The GN2 is nice and still feels good in the hand for its size, but still think its to big for me as most of my off days I am in shorts. The DNA is also a real nice phone but had the OG Dinc and I feel this phone might just get 1 upgrade and then done otherwise I would get it as storage would be just about what I use anyway and battery is better than most thought. The SG3 is a nice phone but not worth giving up my GN and u limited plan for.

    The best or worst part is having all these choices and everything just keeps getting better, wish VZ would have grandfathered the unlimited plan as AT&T did then I would have used my upgrade already.
  5. #5  
    zwj1234's Avatar

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

    Default Re: What to do? Upgrade or Wait

    Samsung galaxy s3 is the best-selling phone among the world. So i don't think it is a bad idea to get one. Just upgrade if you don't like Samsung galaxy NOTE2
  6. #6  

    Default Re: What to do? Upgrade or Wait

    Well, you've already apparently turned yourself off of the top 2 Android phones on Verizon. The Galaxy Note 2 (which you said was too big) and the Droid DNA (which you said has no microSD slot).
    That said, I feel that the Razr Maxx HD might fit your criteria as well as the GS3. 4.7" 720 x 1280 display (SAMOLED, like the GS3), 32GB internal memory plus microSD slot, Dual-core S4 with Adreno 225 (like the GS3), it only has 1GB RAM compared to 2GB RAM in GS3 (but the skin is not nearly as bloated as Touchwiz), and it has an extended battery which the GS3 does not have. The GS3 is still a very capable phone that will meet your criteria as well, and it has a veritable S***ton of accessories too.

    There just aren't too many Android phones at all on the roadmap for Verizon for December and January so your pickings will be slim. If you really want a cutting edge phone, you'll either have to wait past January, or pick up the Note 2 or DNA. No other Android phone on Verizon can currently match either of those right now. So if you really don't want to compromise and get the Note 2 or DNA, then I would go ahead and root the Thunderbolt and tough it out until we see what's coming in the first part of the year. The Thunderbolt will still work as a phone until then, especially if you toss a custom ROM on it.
  7. #7  
    raddbj03's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts

    Default Re: What to do? Upgrade or Wait

    Never wait to get a new phone unless its an apple product and you know when it will be released. Otherwise get the best you can as soon as you can.

    I would check out the gs3, note 2, and DNA. If you really really need that sd card, then opt for one of the Samsung devices.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: What to do? Upgrade or Wait

    There's ALWAYS a new phone coming out, unless you have your eye on a specific one with an (more or less) firm release date there's no point in waiting.

Similar Threads

  1. What to do? Upgrade my Evo ASAP?
    By Treesham in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 11:41 PM
  2. waiting for Thunderbolt my Storm is dying - what to do?
    By ShaggyKids in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 01:26 PM
  3. upgrading sd cards, what to do first?
    By charlie hustle in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 10:39 PM
  4. Upgrade to Droid X or wait?
    By iTz Nicholas72 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 02:18 AM
  5. Curious who is going to upgrade to Froyo now or wait.
    By malhotra365 in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2010, 11:52 PM

Posting Permissions