Questions about switching from iPod Touch

zBernie

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an iPod touch, and am considering a smart phone. I really like the new Droid X, but have some questions about this phone, which may dictate whether I get the Droid or iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 would be easier for me, since I'm already copying my music, videos, contacts, etc., using iTunes. If anyone can answer some of these concerns I'd appreciate it:

1. I currently take videos with a digital camera, which create .mov files. Can I play these files on the Droid X?

2. Some of the videos I copy to my iPod Touch are around 200 MB. Obviously iTunes compresses. How would I copy and convert a video of this size for use on the Droid?

3. I currently use a contact tool to export my contacts from my Ipod to .ldif and .csv files, which I then load into my email client Thunderbird, and do other things with the files as well. Is there a tool which will allow me to import and export my contacts in .ldif format?

4. I have about 19 GB of .mp3 files which I load on to my 32 GB iPod Touch. Would I be able to fit all of this music on the Droid? Does it come in a 32 GB version? I can actually find that out myself.

5. One of my other concerns was audible, but I just found out today that audible now has there's an android app for audible. Cool!

-Thanks

beasleybiz

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I currently have an iPod touch, and am considering a smart phone. I really like the new Droid X, but have some questions about this phone, which may dictate whether I get the Droid or iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 would be easier for me, since I'm already copying my music, videos, contacts, etc., using iTunes. If anyone can answer some of these concerns I'd appreciate it:

4. I have about 19 GB of .mp3 files which I load on to my 32 GB iPod Touch. Would I be able to fit all of this music on the Droid? Does it come in a 32 GB version? I can actually find that out myself.

-Thanks

It only comes with 8GB of on-board storage, but unlike our iPod's it has upgradeable memory via a Micro-SD slot. It will currently support up to 32GB Micro-SD which essentially expands the device's memory to 40GB. For speed a Class 6 card is recommended but from what has been explained to me that mainly deals with copying to and from the card, and write times for the camera/camcorder. A 32GB class 6 from a reputable brand should run around $200. Some may scoff at that but I remember paying close to that for a 16MB card when that size was top of the food chain and expandable memory for phones was just emerging. The slower class 4 32GB MicroSD that Verizon is offering at a reduced price when buying the DX is slower but may suit your needs just fine at half the price (regular $150).