1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Melted phone charger

My mother had her Galaxy SII plugged in, it fully charged it, but when we turned off the car, after a few minutes it started to make this buzzing noise followed by a burning rubber and metal smell. She took it out, and the tip was completely melted!
    Why would it do this?

Default Re: Melted phone charger

Maybe a short? Was it an official Samsung charger, or a 3rd party one? If it was, for example, one that you got for $1.99 on eBay that was shipped directly from China, I wouldnt be completely surprised by this mishap.

Default Re: Melted phone charger

Car outlet plugs in general have gone down in quality lately. I drive for a living and use a lot of 12V accessories. The most common issues are the push pin on the plug head doesn't put the right pressure on the outlet, the plug itself wiggles too much and comes loose (both prevent proper contact and causes the plug to overheat), and the plastic gets brittle and the internals break and short out the positive and negative. It's been trial and error finding a good plug for anything, but I've had the best luck with short plugs that barely stick out of the outlet.
    Thanked by: