Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By errbin
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need Help tracking which App is Spamming me

Please help...

I'm new to Droid so I've been installing a few apps to try that are the free, ad supported, types. I don't want to spend money on something only to find out I don't like or have use for it so I use them to try before I buy. So now, I'm getting these notifications on my phone to check out the new ------- from ----- or go check out this site for -----. My favorite was this morning that geve me a notification on how to date married women in my area. It's not like I've been scanning Pron on my Note 2..........yet.....

I'm in fear of what I might get on there if I ever did. Even by accident.

So, other than deleting every app I've installed, which isn't a lot yet, is there some way I can track down which app is sending me these notifications? I am using Norton to scan my phone but it shows everything is normal.

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks

Default Re: Need Help tracking which App is Spamming me

There are a number of apps that can tell you which app is the culprit. Try Lookout Ad Network Detector.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

What apps have you installed? Bet we could pick the offender out of a list pretty quick!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ok thanks.
    Here goes

IHear Radio
    Norton Security
    Norton Utilities
    Norton Anti-theft
    Norton Snap
    Droid System
    Scout
    Zinio
    Plague Inc
    MP3 Music Ringtone
    Cardmobili
    Battery Monitor
    Medivel Castle
    Skydrive
    Android Central forum
    Zedge
    One Cast
    Podcast HD
    BeyondPod (free)
    PodKast
    Pod Kicker
    Facebook
    Gassbuddy

That's it. Thanks ahead

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    Thanks

JTMcD.
    We sleep Peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm............George Orwell
    The object of life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, 'Holy S@!t, What a Ride!!! -- Mavis Leyrer

Could be a number of them. Try an ad network detector as I mentioned above.

ROM
    ViperOne

I'm fairly certain that Jelly Bean allows you to long press anything that pops up in the notification bar to view the app information. That should take you to that apps info page so that you can delete the app.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It does for the most part, like, when an app updates and such. With these Spam messages, it leads to a pop up to a another website and not the app that initiated it.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I'm wondering if there is a list, somewhere, that tells about all the different types of ad apps out there. When I run the scan I only get a couple of results in the areas information collection. 1 for Location Information and the other for Device Network Information.

The collection apps listed are:
    Location Information
    InMobi
    AdMobi

Network INformation
    TapJoy
    MoPub
    InMobi
    AdMobi
    Mobclix
    Millennial

Aside from Googling each one individually.

Thanks Again all for the input. I appreciate it.

Which app did you use to scan? Lookout Ad Network Detector should tell you specifically which apps can put ads in your notification bar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Last edited by B. Diddy; 12-08-2012 at 11:09 AM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well, I got another spam today and the long press showed it as being the app Download Manager. I don't ever remember installing this app. I thought it was something that was part of Droid and my Note 2. Yes, I'm a full Noob for this OS.

Go to Settings/Apps/All Apps, and select Download Manager. If you have the ability to uninstall it, then it isn't a stock app. If you get no option to uninstall, then it's an app that came preinstalled with your device.

Hard to say if Download Manager is truly the app that's responsible for the spam, because I'm not familiar with the stock apps that come with the Note 2. Again, which ad network detector are you using? If you're using Lookout, it should tell you specifically which app is responsible for the notification bar ads.

Global Posts
    451 Global Posts

download AirPush Detector app in play store it's free

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life
    mamawM and pauldroidr2d2 like this.

Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    There are a number of apps that can tell you which app is the culprit. Try Lookout Ad Network Detector.

I use AirPush Detector.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Yes, I was able to easily remove Download Manager. I'm not sure where it came from or if another app I installed required it or installed it. I don't recall ever installing it myself. I installed and am running the Ad Network Detector as was first recommended and also the Lookout, Free versions. I'll get the AirPush also and run it.

I'm beginning to more seriously look at these smartphones as just extensions of my Desktop that I've always been pretty fanatical about when it comes to Security protection. Even back in the days of DOS. So, Aside from the three I just mentioned and I've also installed and running the Norton apps, are there any other security/protection apps I should look at getting for this phone?

Also, about running the different apps, are there any problems with having all these installed on a single device? Would they tend to interfere with each other, similar to how that can happen with multiple programs on a regular computer? I always have multiple programs on my home systems but I only allow certain ones to run consistently to prevent interference and "issues" that can come from running multiple scanners.

Thanks All for the input and help on this. I really do greatly appreciate the help.

Having more than one antivirus app installed will probably slow down your system, so just stick with one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums