Need Help tracking which App is Spamming me

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Please help...

I'm new to Droid so I've been installing a few apps to try that are the free, ad supported, types. I don't want to spend money on something only to find out I don't like or have use for it so I use them to try before I buy. So now, I'm getting these notifications on my phone to check out the new ------- from ----- or go check out this site for -----. My favorite was this morning that geve me a notification on how to date married women in my area. It's not like I've been scanning Pron on my Note 2..........yet.....:D

I'm in fear of what I might get on there if I ever did. Even by accident.

So, other than deleting every app I've installed, which isn't a lot yet, is there some way I can track down which app is sending me these notifications? I am using Norton to scan my phone but it shows everything is normal.

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There are a number of apps that can tell you which app is the culprit. Try Lookout Ad Network Detector.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok thanks.
Here goes

IHear Radio
Norton Security
Norton Utilities
Norton Anti-theft
Norton Snap
Droid System
Scout
Zinio
Plague Inc
MP3 Music Ringtone
Cardmobili
Battery Monitor
Medivel Castle
Skydrive
Android Central forum
Zedge
One Cast
Podcast HD
BeyondPod (free)
PodKast
Pod Kicker
Facebook
Gassbuddy

That's it. Thanks ahead

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Could be a number of them. Try an ad network detector as I mentioned above.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm fairly certain that Jelly Bean allows you to long press anything that pops up in the notification bar to view the app information. That should take you to that apps info page so that you can delete the app.

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
It does for the most part, like, when an app updates and such. With these Spam messages, it leads to a pop up to a another website and not the app that initiated it.

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering if there is a list, somewhere, that tells about all the different types of ad apps out there. When I run the scan I only get a couple of results in the areas information collection. 1 for Location Information and the other for Device Network Information.

The collection apps listed are:
Location Information
InMobi
AdMobi

Network INformation
TapJoy
MoPub
InMobi
AdMobi
Mobclix
Millennial

Aside from Googling each one individually.

Thanks Again all for the input. I appreciate it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which app did you use to scan? Lookout Ad Network Detector should tell you specifically which apps can put ads in your notification bar.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, I got another spam today and the long press showed it as being the app Download Manager. I don't ever remember installing this app. I thought it was something that was part of Droid and my Note 2. Yes, I'm a full Noob for this OS.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings/Apps/All Apps, and select Download Manager. If you have the ability to uninstall it, then it isn't a stock app. If you get no option to uninstall, then it's an app that came preinstalled with your device.

Hard to say if Download Manager is truly the app that's responsible for the spam, because I'm not familiar with the stock apps that come with the Note 2. Again, which ad network detector are you using? If you're using Lookout, it should tell you specifically which app is responsible for the notification bar ads.

errbin

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
download AirPush Detector app in play store it's free

sent from a EVO that survived a Apple attack... thug life

johnmcd348

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I was able to easily remove Download Manager. I'm not sure where it came from or if another app I installed required it or installed it. I don't recall ever installing it myself. I installed and am running the Ad Network Detector as was first recommended and also the Lookout, Free versions. I'll get the AirPush also and run it.

I'm beginning to more seriously look at these smartphones as just extensions of my Desktop that I've always been pretty fanatical about when it comes to Security protection. Even back in the days of DOS. So, Aside from the three I just mentioned and I've also installed and running the Norton apps, are there any other security/protection apps I should look at getting for this phone?

Also, about running the different apps, are there any problems with having all these installed on a single device? Would they tend to interfere with each other, similar to how that can happen with multiple programs on a regular computer? I always have multiple programs on my home systems but I only allow certain ones to run consistently to prevent interference and "issues" that can come from running multiple scanners.

Thanks All for the input and help on this. I really do greatly appreciate the help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Having more than one antivirus app installed will probably slow down your system, so just stick with one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol