Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By natehoy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Question about using phone without a cellular plan

I'm about to replace my first Verizon LTE phone (ThunderBolt) with a Note 2. I would like to activate the Note 2 immediately and then take my time moving my data and apps off of the ThunderBolt. Am I correct in thinking that, once the ThunderBolt is replaced by the Note 2 from Verizon's perspective, I will still be able to use my ThunderBolt like I currently can except that I won't have cellular voice service (no phone calls or SMS) or cellular data (no 1X/3G/4G)? As long as I keep it on wifi, then my apps will sync and perform normally, correct? Just want to confirm before I make the switch.

Also, what happens with the LTE SIM card? Do I move it to the new phone or do I get a new card with the new phone? Does not having a SIM card in the phone affect anything other than cellular voice and data?

Thanks for the input!
    My tech timeline: 1981 - First programmed. 1986 - First modem connection. 1993 - First Internet SLIP account. 2000 - First broadband connection. 2003 - First BlackBerry. 2011 - First Android.

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Question about using phone without a cellular plan

Yes, the bolt should simply stop working on Verizon's network. Wi-Fi should continue to work fine. Basically, you'll have a very small android tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Phones: BB 8820 -> BB 8310 -> HTC Thunderbolt -> LG Optimus G Pro -> Moto X 2013 -> Moto X 2014
    Tablet: Nexus 7 2012
    Thanked by:
    badbrad17 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That's great to know. Thank you! I did just try booting it up without a SIM card. Wifi worked find but it gave several warnings, including this on the lock screen:

"A SIM card is needed to operate this phone (Emergency calls only). Please turn off your phone and insert your SIM card."

So I'm hopping I get to keep the old SIM card if for no other reason than to quiet those warnings down.
    My tech timeline: 1981 - First programmed. 1986 - First modem connection. 1993 - First Internet SLIP account. 2000 - First broadband connection. 2003 - First BlackBerry. 2011 - First Android.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Picked up my Note 2 yesterday evening. And, yes, I got a new SIM card with it so my ThunderBolt was able to keep its card and is now chugging away happily as a wifi-only device. It turns out that getting a new SIM card was a must in my case. The Verizon sales rep's system popped up a warning during initial setup that my ThunderBolt's SIM card was incompatible with the Note 2. So I'm happy. Now to figure out how to get the most out of this monster.

You don't need the SIM to use the old phone. Ignore the warning.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums