Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Default New to Android: how to quickly search for things on device

I am new to Android, being an iOS aficionado who decided to give Android a try.

I am slowly but surely getting the hang of things. One thing, however, has me baffled: how do I quickly search for content on my device ( namely, contacts, apps, calendar entries, etc).

With iOS you merely swipes to the left of the home screen and type in the search box there what you're looking for. How do I do something similar with Android? I've tried the Google gesture search app, but it doesn't seem to bring up results very reliably.

Thanks for helping with what I am sure is an easy question.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    JellyBeans

Default Re: New to Android: how to quickly search for things on device

if you are using Google Now
    You must be specific, if you say or type "Angry Birds", you will get a Google search, but if you say or type "apps Angry Birds" it will open the app.
    same thing with contacts you must say or type "call _______" or "text ________" or you will get a Google search for the name.

You can change what apps your device can search in with Google Now settings
    Google Now > settings > phone search
    Sent Via..Raven from Kings Landing
    BB Storm 1 > Samsung Droid Charge > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Samsung Galaxy Note II & LG G Pad 8.3

Default Re: New to Android: how to quickly search for things on device

That's known as local search. I haven't kept up on it, but Apple was suing the several manufactures for using it because they had a patent on it (even though many other devices used it long before Apple patented it). I know it was removed from the S3 at one point.

I don't think they removed it from the Nexus 7 though. You mention the Gesture search. There is a simple Google Search that should be on the phone (in the app drawer or there's a widget you can add to the screen) Sorry...don't have a Nexus 7 so can't look.