Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default running out of phone space...how to limit some apps?

HTC Sensation 4g which I love--but for just 1 gig of internal software, some of which is obliterated by bloatware

I keep clearing the overall cache and uninstalling apps, and every time I look up---space is disappearing again. No matter how much I seem to clear, it gets used by something.

At this point there isn't a whole l_ot left I can clear. I've moved everything I can to the card. The apps left on the phone that I control (the HTC bloatware can't be uninstalled) are coming down to ones I want to keep.

So one question is..what's going on? My theory is that it is three things largely eating up space: Facebook, G+ and/or gmail's contacts.

Now, all 3 apps I like and use, but in any event I must have Gmail and contact; it is highly desirable to have FB, and I really can't uninstall FB or G+ anyway with the HTC sense configuration. When I clear the cache of G+ and FB, I usually recover quite a bit of space--and then it's gone again once I use it.

So, is there anyway to limit how much data Fb/COntacts/ G+ download to my phone?

Any other suggested solutions, other than get a new phone--which I intend to do, but I still I have 9 months left on this contract.

Default Re: running out of phone space...how to limit some apps?

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurms View Post
    My theory is that it is three things largely eating up space: Facebook, G+ and/or gmail's contacts.
    Why do you think this? Contacts don't take up much space.

Go to Menu -> Manage Apps and then Menu -> Sort by Size (NOTE: these steps might be different on HTC phones, but it'll be there somewhere). Then see what apps are at the top and using up space.
    monsieurms likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ah..always learn something new. Thanks. I never saw that command before.

Google Play music way in front at 43 megs. Gee--why have a "move to SD card" command if it leaves 43 megs on the phone? This is an app I need--but also in any event cannot uninstall.

FB--31 megs
    Telenav 31 megs
    G+ 26
    Maps 25
    Messenger (FB) 11.8
    Tmobile tv 13.9
    Gplay store 11
    Adobe Reader 11
    Gvoice 11
    Tmobile video chat 10

I would love to get rid of the T-mobile stuff--can't be uninstalled. I can keep hitting clear data, but.... Much of this list can't be changed and the rest I need. I did clear the data for maps and telenav...which gave me enough room to update apps that had new releases, at least until the next time I use those apps.

Make sure you clear out your text messages as well. Sometimes, there can be a huge number of them stored on your phone, and if a lot of them have images or videos, that's even more memory used up.

Thanks. I never saw that command before.