N7 Beginner's Questions (Unlock, Root, Update, etc.)

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello there!
I'm getting a Nexus 7 for Christmas, and I'm really psyched about it, but still i have some question, even before I'll have it in my hands :)
I thought I ask here, because the questions might not only be on the nexus 7, but more general, so others could also be interested in these topics.

First, I think, I'm going to root that thing. But ? although I've read a lot on that ? I'm not quite sure about all benefits.
When I root I first have to unlock it, right? Do I already have more powers than on a locked device? Or is unlocking only the first step to rooting?

When rooted, but still having stock android running ? so, no custom-roms or kernels, will I get automatic updates, or do I have to flash them myself because I am rooted?

If I get automatic updates, will it wipe the device? Or unroot and lock it again? Do I have to go through the root-procedure everytime there is an update?

Also I'm not sure yet if I really root that thing, because with launchers I already can customize a lot, not sure if I need to be rooted... atm only titanium-backup seems worth to root, and.. if I decide to root later, everything will be wiped, I think thats the main reason I'm considering it. I guess after a while I'll get bored and start thinking about trying new stuff on that thing. Will I have any restrictions with rooting? Like its getting to slow down, or other performance problems?

Thanks, Mark

?
PS: sorry if any of my questions isn't really understandable, english is not my first language :) also sorry, because I think these questions have been asked a thousand times, but in all the unlocking and rooting threads (general but also specific) I couldn't find all answers to my questions.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty