Need help choosing a phone internationally.

antipaladin

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,

I've come to the sad realization of how much I miss having an actual smartphone, so I'm looking for what to upgrade to now. The problem being that I'm in the Navy and currently stationed in Italy. So I need to find out which of the newer android phones would be the best choice. I also travel all over Europe, both for work and play, and back to the US, so it needs to work in all areas, but primarily in Italy.

Main things I'm looking for are:
Camera quality (so I won't need my Coolpix w/ me at all times)
Rootability
Batterylife
Durability
And wifi tethering would be just gravy, but not a dealbreaker.

Of course I'd love an Evo, but that's not going to work where I'm at, so I was currently trying to decide between things like the Galaxy and Desire.

Also, what are the carrier and contract options for my situation? I know Vodafone is there, but is there anyone else I should consider? And would it require a full plan, or does someone offer a data only plan you can combine w/ pay as you go?

shinydiscopants

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm working in Tripoli and just bought my Nexus One from Italy. It's gravy so far. I have Libyan, Italian and Maltese SIM cards and plan to get SIM cards from other countries if I spend longer vacations.

I like the fact that I "should" get updates ahead of phones with skins.

antipaladin

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm going to do a little research into the new multi core phones coming out, but unless they'll be here soon, I think I'll just see what kind of deals I can get on a pre-rooted Nexus 1. The lack of a flash on the Galaxy is a deal-breaker since I want it to help replace one of my cameras.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc