Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default Coming over from a Blackberry - need some quick answers

I have been on a Blackberry since they came out, but I played with a Droid X and think I want to give it a shot, but need to figure a few things out.

With email - does it have to go throught a gmail account? I need to be able to sync from Microsoft Outlook. Our server runs SB 2008 and we run BES. Is there a similar program from Android? Our contacts are in a public folder on the server - can that be synced?

I also need to be able to read and edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint - does the phone come with apps that do this, or do you have to buy them? Any one better than another.

Last one - it looks like texts come into a different folder than email. Is there a way to combine them into one?

Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfed View Post
    With email - does it have to go throught a gmail account?
    Nope.

I need to be able to sync from Microsoft Outlook. Our server runs SB 2008 and we run BES. Is there a similar program from Android?
    Outlook doesn't really matter unless you're asking about wired sync with Outlook. It's Exchange that matters as your mail client on Android will connect to the mail server, not your desktop email app. You'll want ActiveSync.

Last one - it looks like texts come into a different folder than email. Is there a way to combine them into one?
    Texts are handled by an entirely different app -- not just a different folder. You're still thinking in BB terms. I don't recall off the top of my head if there are any unified inbox solutions for Android.

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

Droid X comes with a unified inbox or "universal Inbox" as it's called by the phone, it's the first option in the messaging app by default when you first get your phone. You can link a hotmail, ect account but I belive you do have to have a gmail account to set up your phone.
    I recently switched from a BB Storm to the Droid X so i've been sifting through the same questions, I can't speak for any other Droid because this is the only one i've gotten any extensive time with. But the only problem I'd see you running into is uploading your business contacts from the server, but I'd imagine there is a way to do it, if nothing else, download them with your BB and just transfer them or use VZW backup assistant (I'm assuming your on verizon if your not in the US, I'm sure there is another similar process)

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.4 &Cyanogen 7.2

I also need to be able to read and edit Word, Excel and PowerPoint - does the phone come with apps that do this, or do you have to buy them? Any one better than another.
    Many thanks.
    DocumentsToGo Full Version Key
    by DataViz, Inc
    50,000 downloads, 5427 ratings (4.4 avg)
    $14.99

Great app! I use it almost every day.
    My Toys
    Google Nexus 10 JB 4.3
    Galaxy S4 JB 4.2
    Galaxy SII ICS 4.0.3
    Moto Droid Cyanogen 7.2
    Wife's Stuff
    Galaxy Note II JB 4.2
    Galaxy S II ICS 4.0.3
    Galaxy Tab II 10.1 JB 4.1.2