Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Monitoring your communications???

Maybe this question is in the wrong area. And maybe this question is too general. But, here it goes.

Is it possible for a company you work for to monitor your 4G commincations from your Android? For example, my company has WiFi, so typically I use 4G to communicate with my personal phone for personal business. Do you think my company can monitor my communications, phone calls, web brousing and texting???

Default Re: Monitoring your communications???

Sure anything is possible if you have the proper knowledge and tools to do so. I wouldn't worry about communication over 3g/4g cellular communication network. I would be concerned with anything you do while connected using a provided WIFI source. This can be monitored and controlled very easily.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

On their Wi-Fi, yes. On a carrier contract that they pay for, yes. On your own carrier context, no.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

This kind of technology already exists. While no one outside the government can monitor the content of the communications legally, there is at least one company that developed a device that can detect cellular and Bluetooth usage. It was developed to be installed in vehicles and has a directional antenna sensitive enough to focus on the driver seat but not the passenger. It was made to allow companies with fleet owned vehicles to monitor phone usage by the driver. Since it doesn't monitor the content and only determines if the devices are being used, it isn't violating wire tapping laws.

Theoretically, it wouldn't be hard to adapt that to office use, focusing in on individual cubicles to make sure employees aren't wasting time on their personal phones. With this technology being so new, I doubt there is an office version anywhere, and who knows if or how long it would take to get to that point. If the company is decent, they would let you know if they monitor that usage.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for all your posts and thoughts. I am feeling a little more reassured 4G more than likely would not be monitored at work.