Did you purchase a protection plan for your smartphone? If so, where?

Did you purchase a protection plan for your phone?

• Total voters

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I ordered my phone through Target Mobile online (which I'm just finding out isn't really affiliated with Target) and they're offering protection through Mobile Device Protection Association (Mobile Device Protection) Everything about them seems super shady, and I don't want to do business with them. I'm not even sure I want to purchase cell phone protection, as the phone already has a 1-year warranty (not including ACD, but I'm careful).

Do you purchase a protection plan? If so, through where? Any companies I should avoid?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I treat these like any other extended warranty/protection plan. It's not worth it for most everyone. Read pretty much any report on this sort of thing and they all say these plans are pretty much nothing but pure profit for the seller.

IMHO, if you're concerned about it, get a full body case and screen protector. They don't cost a lot and can protect the phone from most anything outside of outright abuse. My phone is "naked" and even dropped it a couple times on concrete and steel with nothing more than light scratches. Still works perfectly.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
IMHO, if you're concerned about it, get a full body case and screen protector. They don't cost a lot and can protect the phone from most anything outside of outright abuse. My phone is "naked" and even dropped it a couple times on concrete and steel with nothing more than light scratches. Still works perfectly.

Thanks, good to know. This is my first smartphone purchase, and although I have a warranty on my tablet, it was a small one-time fee compared to at least $150/2 yrs for most smartphone plans. I already have a sturdy Ballistic case and a screen protector--if I don't go out of my way to abuse the phone with a protective case, I probably wouldn't need a plan then? I'm pretty rough with my current phone, but that's because I know it can take a beating. With my new smartphone, I'm sure I'll treat it as gently as I have my tablet.

Also, just curious, is it normal for 3rd party sellers to state the following: I'll "be charged $400 if during 181 days after activation if it's been suspended/disconnected/deactivated, if you transfer equipment from one line to another, if you return your purchase outside of the 14 days", etc? Does that mean if I lose my phone and suspend service to replace it, I'll be charged? It's been 2 years since I had a new phone, so this is all new to me :p

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing you mean the 3rd party phone seller, not the insurance company making that statement. Sounds like you purchased it along with a service contact to get the phone at a cheaper subsidized price. Basically what that means is the carrier or seller subsidizes most of the phone cost and then they recoup said cost by locking you into contract long enough to cover it. That is a normal practice in the industry, unless you want to pay $600 for the phone up front. By having that statement, it keeps you from trying to scam them by canceling the contract before they get their money back for the subsidy and you getting a cheap phone.