What's the better reader - Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire HD?

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm a power user, but if I get a tablet I want something I can primarily read on. I've heard the Nexus 7 is a poor reader because the odds of screen burn-in are higher, but the Amazon lock-down of the Kindle might be too aggressive for me.

Can anyone that actually owns either/or please give me an opinion? I'm not looking for a smartphone replacement as much as a solid reader with secondary uses like a browser and Googled Play Music access. Thanks!

Galaxy SIII - Thanks Appreciated!
My Podcast - http://cyberears.com/index.php/Show/audio/6030
My Blog - https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://bearpastarocketpop.blogspot.com/

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have used both devices but I don't own them. The screen on Nexus 7 is far better than kindle.

I wouldn't recommend Kindle because it too locked down and lot of android features missing.

get the Nexus 7. its 100 times better.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One criteria should be the comfort of holding the device in one hand for extended periods of time. I haven't done a direct comparison, but I'd imagine the Nexus 7 would be a little more comfortable because it's a little lighter (11.99 oz vs 13.9 oz). It may not seem like much of difference, but it can be crucial.

wrwesley57

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If you ONLY want to use the device as an e-reader I would recommend the Kindle Paper-White (I do not own it). The cost is much lower than a Nexus 7. The reviews identify it as the superior e-reader on the market. If however, you want more functionality than an e-reader I would definitely buy the Nexus 7 (I do own it). I have found many great uses for the N7 including music, email, Web browsing, calendar, To-do task tracking, plus plus plus. Your use for this new device will determine the direction you decide to go in.

gtbarry

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I have used both devices but I don't own them. The screen on Nexus 7 is far better than kindle.

I wouldn't recommend Kindle because it too locked down and lot of android features missing.

get the Nexus 7. its 100 times better.

I have a fire, but I wish I had a nexus 7. I agree that the biggest problem with the fire is that it is Android only sort of. You will be frustrated by it unless you root it. It can only do the most basic things that a standard Android device can do. For example, try to load a .avi or MP4 video file on to watch it and good luck if you can.

I honestly, have never heard about screen burn in on a Nexus 7. But the Nexus 7 can run Kindle Reader, so basically it does everything the Kindle can do. (Unless you are an Amazon Prime customer and a fairly regular customer of Amazon.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38