How to minimize data over wifi hotspot?

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
What I'd like to be able to do is:
if I'm connected to a specific wifi AP (my prepaid hotspot),
1) turn off autoupdates from the Google Play app
2) turn off data for all apps except the foreground app
3) or let me decided which apps I want to allow to transfer data when connecting via that hotspot

This is to minimize costs associated with using that prepaid hotspot, but the same concept could apply for people who have limited data bandwidth per month.
I'm using Android 4.1 on a Samsung S3 if it matters. I was hoping to find an app that would do all this, but it'd most likely need root access

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
there is a simple way but have less control.

1. In google play setting set download only by wifi.
2. restrict background data for apps. go to settings-->data usage-->click on app-->restrict background data

now go to setting-->data usage-->menu(3 dots)-->mobile hotspot-->check the wifi that is mobile hotspot.

now that wifi will be considered wifi hotspot and will restrict data just like any data usage.

or you could use tasker app.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
now go to setting-->data usage-->menu(3 dots)-->mobile hotspot-->check the wifi that is mobile hotspot.

I think that's what I really want. According to the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean docs on Google's site, it'll disable background data when connected to that wifi hotspot.

I couldn't find anything in Tasker that lets me do what I want...it'll shut down mobile data based on certain events, but that's not what I want to do since I have no mobile data. I'm trying to minimize the amount of data going over my wifi hotspot and the setting you mentioned should do it. Thanks :)

TechnoGeek123

Oct 3, 2014
Visit site
Our team at Opera have a pretty neat app called Opera Max. It uses a unique compressions algorithm to help you save your data upto 50% and extend the life of your data plan!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463