How to permanently block Google Play Services from installing automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drabina

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Is there a way to block Google Play Services to stop installing automatically on my phone? Whatever this thing is, my phone worked fine without it and now it throws low memory error. As soon as I remove Google Play Services application, memory warning disappears but the application keeps installing after a while on its own.

Thanks.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
without the google play service some apps wont work properly.

the proble is not with google play service but with low memory on your phone after installing the service. so clear up some cache from other apps.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you want to use the Google Play Store at all, you need Google Play Services. For low memory errors you can do the following:

1. As mentioned by still1, clear the cache of some apps. Various apps can develop bloated caches, like Facebook and Google Currents. You can individually clear caches by going to Settings/Apps, selecting the app, and tapping the Clear Cache button, but this can be tedious (and if you use the apps frequently, the cache will just build up again anyway). There are some decent free apps on Google Play like App Cache Cleaner (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Im1vYmkuaW5mb2xpZmUuY2FjaGUiXQ&token=E0tnoeSV..) that can clear all app caches with one tap.

2. Make sure you periodically clear out your text messages, especially if you get pictures or videos sent to you via MMS. You'd be surprised how much memory this can take up.

3. Move as many apps to the SD card as you can (again, under Settings/Apps).

drabina

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replies and all the suggestions.

What about just disabling Google Play Services from installing automatically? I use my phone as a phone and couldn't care less if some apps from the store work or not. Also I just do not like apps installing on their own regardless if Google thinks it is necessary for the store to work or not.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for replies and all the suggestions.

What about just disabling Google Play Services from installing automatically? I use my phone as a phone and couldn't care less if some apps from the store work or not. Also I just do not like apps installing on their own regardless if Google thinks it is necessary for the store to work or not.

the reason no one suggest is because it updates automatically and no option to stop it.
google play service 2.0 is very important for account authentication,maps and photo-spear api's
not just some apps will be affected. the system apps will be affected too.

why are you so adament about getting rid of this service when you can get rid of unused wasted cached data.

drabina

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, before Google Play Services popped up on my phone, all the apps were working fine. I have removed it two times already and still have no crashes or hanging apps. I do not see why do I need this service if the phone was working just fine without it. I am not installing new apps or updating my Android version and I have a basic smartphone with limited memory. This service takes up 7MB of my phone's memory.

I will check "freeze apps". Thanks for the suggestion.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Well, before Google Play Services popped up on my phone, all the apps were working fine. I have removed it two times already and still have no crashes or hanging apps. I do not see why do I need this service if the phone was working just fine without it. I am not installing new apps or updating my Android version and I have a basic smartphone with limited memory. This service takes up 7MB of my phone's memory.

I will check "freeze apps". Thanks for the suggestion.

its your phone. so its your choice and btw, for freeze app to work you need to root your phone and have superuser app too.

Dave Quesada

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I hear what Drabina is saying & it sounds like my LG Enlighten. 183mb internal storage in total, not many apps installed. Most fairly skinny. Everything that can be on SD already is.

Yet a couple of times a day, Google Play Store comes along, uses 11mb of that precious space.

If I've visited 5 websites w/o clearing cache, internal storage is down to < 100kb ! -- and next-- total crash.

Real PITA

Dave

Adam Wilder

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
You don't need google play services to use the play store! Idiots. I uninstall it daily because it causes low storage errors when I have plenty of storage. Haven't found any apps that won't work without it other than google's music and movie player ( which I never use because they don't allow actual downloads of the media you buy from them). So hope some one comes up with a solution soon. How can google force installation on users. I'm this close to buying an iphone.

Yoma Ma

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
What worked for me (on a rooted Galaxy Ace) was to copy the folder with full path where GPlayStore--com.android.vending.apk--resides, /system/app, to my SD card, then I uninstalled it. It seems that if that file is detected anywhere in the phone, whatever auto-installs it got so fooled that I had a hard time reinstalling it, until I reinstalled it from my SD card again. I copied the entire folder to my SD card and later to my PC, just in case I got overzealous and went overboard uninstalling stuff, or if something else needed to be reinstalled before or after GPStore. (I think I had to reinstall GPServices.)
NOTE: Your phone must be rooted, and don't forget to create a System folder on your SD card and copy the App folder within.

In order to uninstall it, I used Link2SD, converted GPStore to User App, then uninstalled. To reinstall, as said before, did so from the SD card and converted it to System App. The last conversion is no necessary, unless you want to bring the phone back to "original".

Hope this helps.

Cheers

hopesndreams6905

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I must say I hate the Google play services app being downloaded on my phone. I delete it almost everyday. It runs non-stop and kills my battery like you wouldn't believe. Why must Google do this? It's my phone and I should be able to choose what goes on it and what doesn't. And the only app that won't work fully that I've found is YouTube, I can't be logged in. So I search without being signed in, doesn't hurt my feelings any.

kevinjhall

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I've successfully blocked Google Play Services (and the bloated Google Play itself) by deleting the Google Play updates under manage applications. This returns the software to the original state as Android Marketplace. If I want to download an app I open the old Android Marketplace app and allow it to download Google Play updates. When I have the app I want I delete Google Play updates again. The other advantage is you don't get bothered by app update messages.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you think any of us would even be on this site if we were novice users and didn't know how to efficiently manage our phones?
Interesting. I thought that was exactly who this site (and the General Help forum in particular) was for. My bad.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

ukdirector

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very much for your post, I did exactly what you said and now google services & google play are gone, I now just have Google market back.
But best of all it has freed up 25mb more space on my phone, which when you have a limited space is quite pleasing.
Thanks again,

Dick Schlongner

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
i used app quarantine it's in the play store and used it to freeze play services. because i have the inverted playstore that is black instead of white and it kept updating automatically on me and reverting back to white playstore.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
TRUE! TRUE! I may not be an expert, but I am certainly a user who hates, hates, how intrusive Google has become! I hate ITunes for that reason, and now Playstore is even worse. Google+ ? Pls! It's a nightmare and a gigantic invasion of privacy. IMHO

Droid Razr via Tapatalk. Droid Razr w/root.

Well, you don't need to even use Google on your android. Delete your account, side load amazon ( or download from the developer then selves if you can), then install a app that freezes apps. Freeze all the Google apps and viola.

Or you root and install a custom ROM without GApps and you'll have a truly Google free android ;)

I should throw in that there is no way of getting rid of Google search option. But just make bing, shudder, default.

Can't say that for iOS, Blackberry or Windows.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad