Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to permanently block Google Play Services from installing automatically?

Is there a way to block Google Play Services to stop installing automatically on my phone? Whatever this thing is, my phone worked fine without it and now it throws low memory error. As soon as I remove Google Play Services application, memory warning disappears but the application keeps installing after a while on its own.

Thanks.
    BARDROID and alparslan79 like this.

Default Re: How to permanently block Google Play Services from installing automatically?

without the google play service some apps wont work properly.

the proble is not with google play service but with low memory on your phone after installing the service. so clear up some cache from other apps.

Default Re: How to permanently block Google Play Services from installing automatically?

If you want to use the Google Play Store at all, you need Google Play Services. For low memory errors you can do the following:

1. As mentioned by still1, clear the cache of some apps. Various apps can develop bloated caches, like Facebook and Google Currents. You can individually clear caches by going to Settings/Apps, selecting the app, and tapping the Clear Cache button, but this can be tedious (and if you use the apps frequently, the cache will just build up again anyway). There are some decent free apps on Google Play like App Cache Cleaner (..) that can clear all app caches with one tap.

2. Make sure you periodically clear out your text messages, especially if you get pictures or videos sent to you via MMS. You'd be surprised how much memory this can take up.

3. Move as many apps to the SD card as you can (again, under Settings/Apps).
    Helron likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for replies and all the suggestions.

What about just disabling Google Play Services from installing automatically? I use my phone as a phone and couldn't care less if some apps from the store work or not. Also I just do not like apps installing on their own regardless if Google thinks it is necessary for the store to work or not.
    BARDROID likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drabina View Post
    Thanks for replies and all the suggestions.

What about just disabling Google Play Services from installing automatically? I use my phone as a phone and couldn't care less if some apps from the store work or not. Also I just do not like apps installing on their own regardless if Google thinks it is necessary for the store to work or not.
    the reason no one suggest is because it updates automatically and no option to stop it.
    google play service 2.0 is very important for account authentication,maps and photo-spear api's
    not just some apps will be affected. the system apps will be affected too.

why are you so adament about getting rid of this service when you can get rid of unused wasted cached data.

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

There are apps which can freeze other apps or services. You might want to explore this feature and see if it resolves your problem.

Mybackup should work:

There may be more apps in the play store...just do a quick search for "freeze apps" and see what comes up.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Well, before Google Play Services popped up on my phone, all the apps were working fine. I have removed it two times already and still have no crashes or hanging apps. I do not see why do I need this service if the phone was working just fine without it. I am not installing new apps or updating my Android version and I have a basic smartphone with limited memory. This service takes up 7MB of my phone's memory.

I will check "freeze apps". Thanks for the suggestion.
    BARDROID likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drabina View Post
    Well, before Google Play Services popped up on my phone, all the apps were working fine. I have removed it two times already and still have no crashes or hanging apps. I do not see why do I need this service if the phone was working just fine without it. I am not installing new apps or updating my Android version and I have a basic smartphone with limited memory. This service takes up 7MB of my phone's memory.

I will check "freeze apps". Thanks for the suggestion.
    its your phone. so its your choice and btw, for freeze app to work you need to root your phone and have superuser app too.

I hear what Drabina is saying & it sounds like my LG Enlighten. 183mb internal storage in total, not many apps installed. Most fairly skinny. Everything that can be on SD already is.

Yet a couple of times a day, Google Play Store comes along, uses 11mb of that precious space.

If I've visited 5 websites w/o clearing cache, internal storage is down to < 100kb ! -- and next-- total crash.

Real PITA

Dave
    BARDROID likes this.

You don't need google play services to use the play store! Idiots. I uninstall it daily because it causes low storage errors when I have plenty of storage. Haven't found any apps that won't work without it other than google's music and movie player ( which I never use because they don't allow actual downloads of the media you buy from them). So hope some one comes up with a solution soon. How can google force installation on users. I'm this close to buying an iphone.
    BARDROID and Ima Gyaru like this.

What worked for me (on a rooted Galaxy Ace) was to copy the folder with full path where GPlayStore--com.android.vending.apk--resides, /system/app, to my SD card, then I uninstalled it. It seems that if that file is detected anywhere in the phone, whatever auto-installs it got so fooled that I had a hard time reinstalling it, until I reinstalled it from my SD card again. I copied the entire folder to my SD card and later to my PC, just in case I got overzealous and went overboard uninstalling stuff, or if something else needed to be reinstalled before or after GPStore. (I think I had to reinstall GPServices.)
    NOTE: Your phone must be rooted, and don't forget to create a System folder on your SD card and copy the App folder within.

In order to uninstall it, I used Link2SD, converted GPStore to User App, then uninstalled. To reinstall, as said before, did so from the SD card and converted it to System App. The last conversion is no necessary, unless you want to bring the phone back to "original".

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Thanked by:
    Helron likes this.

BULL-CRAP!!! We do not need this unnecessary and useless app in order for our phone to work. And PLEASE stop telling us that "we just need to clear up some cache", or that "we need to learn how to use our Android phones", or "perhaps we just need to get a new phone". You know who you all are, so please shut up... I am among the vast majority of dissatisfied users who feels infringed upon by having Google Play Services continuously download to OUR phones without OUR permission. It DOES take up precious memory that many of us non-Galaxy S3 carriers don't have much of... So, let's please get back to the original question: HOW DO WE PREVENT GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES FROM AUTOMATICALLY DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING ON OUR PHONES???

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    the reason no one suggest is because it updates automatically and no option to stop it.
    google play service 2.0 is very important for account authentication,maps and photo-spear api's
    not just some apps will be affected. the system apps will be affected too.

why are you so adament about getting rid of this service when you can get rid of unused wasted cached data.
    still1: Please stay still. Stop patronizing us by telling us that we must all have "unused wasted cached data". Do you think any of us would even be on this site if we were novice users and didn't know how to efficiently manage our phones? The simple truth is that many people do not use Google+ or other services that may require Google Play Services. You are just plain wrong that the Google Play Store will not work without Google Play Services. Please stop propagating misinformation and ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wilder View Post
    You don't need google play services to use the play store! Idiots. I uninstall it daily because it causes low storage errors when I have plenty of storage. Haven't found any apps that won't work without it other than google's music and movie player ( which I never use because they don't allow actual downloads of the media you buy from them). So hope some one comes up with a solution soon. How can google force installation on users. I'm this close to buying an iphone.
    Adam, I'm totally with ya, man... This is a problem, and I hope we can find a solution to it soon. But don't go buying an iPhone just yet- it's way more restrictive than Android.

I must say I hate the Google play services app being downloaded on my phone. I delete it almost everyday. It runs non-stop and kills my battery like you wouldn't believe. Why must Google do this? It's my phone and I should be able to choose what goes on it and what doesn't. And the only app that won't work fully that I've found is YouTube, I can't be logged in. So I search without being signed in, doesn't hurt my feelings any.

I've successfully blocked Google Play Services (and the bloated Google Play itself) by deleting the Google Play updates under manage applications. This returns the software to the original state as Android Marketplace. If I want to download an app I open the old Android Marketplace app and allow it to download Google Play updates. When I have the app I want I delete Google Play updates again. The other advantage is you don't get bothered by app update messages.

Quote Originally Posted by BARDROID View Post
    Do you think any of us would even be on this site if we were novice users and didn't know how to efficiently manage our phones?
    Interesting. I thought that was exactly who this site (and the General Help forum in particular) was for. My bad.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Quote Originally Posted by hopesndreams6905 View Post
    It's my phone and I should be able to choose what goes on it and what doesn't.
    Root.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinjhall View Post
    The other advantage is you don't get bothered by app update messages.
    You can turn off app update messages in the settings for Google Play.

I too cannot "afford" the space the Play Store that is forced on me daily. I get some apps from the OPERA Mobile Store & also slideme.org. Yes, I know I run the risk of Air Push bundled in some of the apps.

Anyone know of other non Play Store markets?

If I use the old Android Market, the Play Store downloads & takes the rest of my meager 183mb internal storage.

If I recall something I read here, I cannot Jailbreak my LG Enlighten running 2.3.4 anymore.

Hey, and don't laugh! Anyone know where I can get that slender AOL mini-app? I have my reasons for wanting it onboard...

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you very much for your post, I did exactly what you said and now google services & google play are gone, I now just have Google market back.
    But best of all it has freed up 25mb more space on my phone, which when you have a limited space is quite pleasing.
    Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Quesada View Post
    Anyone know of other non Play Store markets?

Thanks,

Dave
    The Amazon App Store

Quote Originally Posted by BARDROID View Post
    still1: Please stay still. Stop patronizing us by telling us that we must all have "unused wasted cached data". Do you think any of us would even be on this site if we were novice users and didn't know how to efficiently manage our phones? The simple truth is that many people do not use Google+ or other services that may require Google Play Services. You are just plain wrong that the Google Play Store will not work without Google Play Services. Please stop propagating misinformation and ignorance.
    TRUE! TRUE! I may not be an expert, but I am certainly a user who hates, hates, how intrusive Google has become! I hate ITunes for that reason, and now Playstore is even worse. Google+ ? Pls! It's a nightmare and a gigantic invasion of privacy. IMHO

Droid Razr via Tapatalk. Droid Razr w/root.
    Revampd and paisley99 like this.

Angry Re: How to permanently block Google Play Services from installing automatically?

That's why I'm here too! I keep getting a little "notification" that this **** is downloading itself to my phone, without my permission, and after repeated uninstalls. At first it would give me a "google svcs" icon I could uninstall, but now it just stashes itself somewhere in my phone where I can't get rid of it and it's taking up A LOT of space. How rude!!!

i used app quarantine it's in the play store and used it to freeze play services. because i have the inverted playstore that is black instead of white and it kept updating automatically on me and reverting back to white playstore.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast