Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is it safe to factory reset my Galaxy S3?

Ok so I know how to do a standard factory reset on a GS3 from the settings, but I have a question about my specific case. I rooted my S3 before I upgraded to 4.1 Jellybean(I was using Ice Cream Sandwich). After I upgraded to Jellybean however my phone lost root access. So now I have a Jellybean S3 with no root. BUT when I plug my phone into my PC, my root files like clockworkmod and other things are still there, on my phone. With these root files in my phone, even though my phone does not have root access, can I do the factory reset from my settings? I am worried that my phone may run into these files and something bad might happen during the restoration process.
    And I am not looking to reroot my phone, I want to factory reset it. I just want to know if under my circumstances I can do that from the settings.

Default Re: Is it safe to factory reset my Galaxy S3?

Quote Originally Posted by Captainev View Post
    Ok so I know how to do a standard factory reset on a GS3 from the settings, but I have a question about my specific case. I rooted my S3 before I upgraded to 4.1 Jellybean(I was using Ice Cream Sandwich). After I upgraded to Jellybean however my phone lost root access. So now I have a Jellybean S3 with no root. BUT when I plug my phone into my PC, my root files like clockworkmod and other things are still there, on my phone. With these root files in my phone, even though my phone does not have root access, can I do the factory reset from my settings? I am worried that my phone may run into these files and something bad might happen during the restoration process.
    And I am not looking to reroot my phone, I want to factory reset it. I just want to know if under my circumstances I can do that from the settings.
    there wont be any problem resetting the phone. but know that all user data will be wiped

resetting will just wipe user data and wont touch the system partition
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Is it safe to factory reset my Galaxy S3?

Thanks just reset it and it's fine.