Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default does a fast charger hurt your phone battery?

In general do chargers with higher amps/watts and charge fast hurt phone batteries?

Thanks for the help.

Default Re: does a fast charger hurt your phone battery?

Fast chargers are kind of a misnomer. The phone will only draw as much power as needed from a charger, regardless of how high the amperage rating is. Some people say a higher-than-stock rated charger had allowed for somewhat quicker charging, but I haven't done any tests between my normal and higher rated chargers, or seen any tests backing up or disproving those claims. My belief is that if it is any quicker, it's not enough to be noticeable to the average user.

I do like higher rated chargers, though, for other reasons. The biggest being that the charger doesn't have to work as hard to put out the same power as a weaker one. All other things being equal, this should allow the charger to last longer. It's also handy in case someone else wants to charge off it and you don't know their phone's power requirements.

In short, if you're using your phone to do the charging, the higher rated chargers make no difference and don't affect battery life. Now if you're talking about an external charger where you pull the battery from the phone and charge separately, I don't know. Then it is the charger regulating how much amperage is being fed into the battery and I do know older style batteries did benefit from a slow charge (think NiCad AA's). I would think current Li-Ion batteries handle fast charges better.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Some phones are capable of drawing more power than the stock charger is capable of supplying. Some phones will draw up to 1.5A when paired with a charger capable of supplying it. By design, the power management chip in your phone won't let the battery accept more current than it can handle.

So, no, your battery won't be "harmed."

-Charles
    FoneFill Restaurant Phone Chargers

Dear Friend
    It it does not hurt the battery, will it hurt the Phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MANIMOZHI View Post
    Dear Friend
    Last edited by NothingIsTrue; 09-28-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MANIMOZHI View Post
    Dear Friend

- - - Updated - - -
    It can't hurt the phone, either. If something is somehow broken and the voltage is too high it could hurt the phone, but that's true with any charger and a very rare occurrence. The phone (and charger) only pull as much current as they need. The higher current from the wall outlet is not pushed into the charger and the higher current from the charger is not pushed into the phone.

Global Posts
    2,691 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Any charger can actually supply a lot more current than it's rated for - not for long, but it can. (Short the output of a charge and it'll supply tens of amps - for a fraction of a second before it dies a spectacular death.) The phone draws what it's designed to draw to charge the battery - as long as that much current is available. If you're using a USB 2.0 port to charge, it's limited to 100mA, or 0.10 Amps, so that's all the phone can draw. If the phone is designed to charge with 1.5 Amps, using a charger that can supply that much current will charge the battery faster, and it won't hurt anything. But phones have been standardized to charge with a 5 volt source, so just about any 5 volt source, regardless of the available current, will work. (If the charger can't supply at least 100 mA, you may damage the charger, but you won't damage the battery.) But if you have 5 volts at 100 Amps available, you can charge a lot of batteries at one time with no problem.

If you have a charger that can charge the battery out of the phone, you can overcharge the battery, Chargers like that are designed for specific batteries, and you should only use them with the battery they're designed for, even if a different battery fits.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    If you're using a USB 2.0 port to charge, it's limited to 100mA, or 0.10 Amps, so that's all the phone can draw.
    Most USB 2.0 ports will supply up to 500mA and are "charging" USB ports. They're only required to supply up to 100mA (non-charging port), but I haven't run across one on a PC or laptop that won't do at least 500mA. My guess is it's mostly low power, mobile devices that don't give "charging" ports. Anything that's USB compliant won't damage the 100mA ports because they'll correctly negotiate for supply current (i.e. they'll ask for 500mA but not get it) even if they normally charge at 500mA on a USB port.

As an aside, I've found that many PC USB ports will supply way more than 500mA. I tried a few around the office and most supplied ~0.8A continuously while maintaining at least 4.75V (the USB minimum). All of them (including a cheap netbook) supplied at least 1.5A down to 4.3V, some supplied 1.5A at 4.5V.