A Question About The Samsung Galaxy S3

WonkaOnMyWilly

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering.... If I got a Samsung Galaxy S3, could I just use it for WiFi and not sign up for any provider. The town I live has a wide range of WiFi access so I wouldn't need a carrier. Would I have to buy a unlocked version? I appreciate any help, thank you. ;)

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: A Question About The Samsung Galaxy S3

Yes most "smartphones" now days can work without sim and without connecting to any mobile network. So if you want to use it like iPod touch it should work. And yes you would need to buy unlocked, since carriers will force to sign contract.

But if you dont want to play around with carriers too much why dont you try prepaid?

chadthebuilder

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Odp: A Question About The Samsung Galaxy S3

The Nexus 4 might be a good choice if you are not planning on signing up with any service providers. Then, if you ever decided you wanted to, you could always buy a sim card with a prepaid feature from T-Mobile or any other company that offers them for that device. That way, you are not bound to stay with any carrier, and you can always cancel it an use your phone for wifi only purposes if you decide you don't need a mobile date plan. If you could find a Samsung SIII that is unlocked, I'm sure that would work just great for what you are wanting, but buying a unlocked phone is often times just as expensive as buying a upper grade tablet, if you are using them for wifi only.