Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Working with google music and itunes

I am a longstanding ios user looking to potentially migrate over to android. I started to "test the waters" by utilizing google music to host my collection in the cloud and to pave the way to an eventual migration to android. Couple of observations and questions...

1) Google Music Manager does a POOR job of syncing itunes music and playlists to google music in the cloud. I have a mac, with my music collection stored on a network drive (along with my itunes folder). After loading my music collection after several attempts, it finally succeeded by pointing it to the folder that houses it, but it failed completely with playlists. Only after re-installing the music manager and having it sync via "playlists" as opposed to a "folder" did it ever even upload the playlists, although not all songs show up in all the lists. BTW, my sonos system has no problem recognizing my itunes playlists and playing from itunes -- I don't understand why google can't get this sorted.
    - Are others experiencing this same problem and do they have a solution?
    - Does it matter if itunes is open for the sync to occur or should it be closed?

2) In light of #1 above, if I make the jump to android I think I will bail on itunes. What are non-itunes users using to manage their music collection? Doubletwist? Others? I have both macs and PCs that would need to be covered, and ideally would like a solution that generates playlists that get synced with android devices and can by uploaded into sonos and other devices as well. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Ray

Default Re: Working with google music and itunes

doubletwist is a very good iTunes alternative for android.

have you checked the itunes music? most of itunes music are DRM and google music cannot upload those.
    its a problem with Apple rather than google.

Although I primarily use Google Music now, I started with all of my music on iTunes due to my car's iPod integration. I found it to be pretty painless to upload all of my music from iTunes to the Google cloud (all of my music is ripped from CDs, not purchased from iTunes). All of my existing iTunes playlists also uploaded at that time. Not sure why you were having problems--I just had to make sure the correct overall music folder was selected for upload in the Google Music Manager. Now, when I buy or rip new music, it gets included in my iTunes library, but the Google Music Manager also identifies it as new as well, and will upload those tracks to the cloud.

Unfortunately, iTunes playlists that upload to Google Music won't update dynamically if you change them on iTunes. I find the playlist editor on Google Music to be pretty good, though. It's easy to add songs or albums to a playlist, or give thumbs up to songs, which will then be automatically added to the "Thumbs Up" playlist. There's also the Instant Mix playlist--just select a song, click on "Play Instant Mix," and Google Music will automatically pick similar songs for a playlist.

It may be true that Google Music Manager doesn't do a perfect job syncing iTunes music to the cloud, but at least it can do it. Keep in mind that the reverse is not true--i.e., Apple doesn't give you the option of syncing your Google Music cloud library with iTunes.

Hi there

I know this is a very old thread, but did you ever find a solution that dynamically synced changes that you made in itunes with a music management system for android? I have recently made the move to an android device but have a mac as my personal computer and would like to move away from Itunes as my main media manager or alternatively find a music management system that has a similar functionality to itunes that i can use on both my phone and my mac and which updates the changes on both.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinky73 View Post
    Hi there

I know this is a very old thread, but did you ever find a solution that dynamically synced changes that you made in itunes with a music management system for android? I have recently made the move to an android device but have a mac as my personal computer and would like to move away from Itunes as my main media manager or alternatively find a music management system that has a similar functionality to itunes that i can use on both my phone and my mac and which updates the changes on both.

Thanks
    Doubletwist is going to be your best option if you want to keep your files in sync locally on your laptop. Most of the other good options are cloud based (like Google Music, Amazon Cloud Player) and expect you to manage everything in the cloud, or are not specific enough to music and thus don't have a great music browser (Plex).