Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ragnarokx
  • 1 Post By jsnojo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Adding 2nd gmail account

I know - Phil has a good video on this topic, BUT.......

I'm trying to add a second gmail account (my wife's), and I keep running into a response message after a couple of minutes, saying "Can't establish a reliable data connection on the server". I've tried forcing the transaction through Wi-Fi and cellular paths, always with the same result.

I see any number of threads in a variety of forums with this problem, going back months, but I didn't find any viable solutions. The most common solution offered is to do a factory reset on the phone, which I'm not near ready to do yet. I'm at a loss - and I'd appreciate any good suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by vicw926a4 View Post
    I know - Phil has a good video on this topic, BUT.......

I'm trying to add a second gmail account (my wife's), and I keep running into a response message after a couple of minutes, saying "Can't establish a reliable data connection on the server". I've tried forcing the transaction through Wi-Fi and cellular paths, always with the same result.

I see any number of threads in a variety of forums with this problem, going back months, but I didn't find any viable solutions. The most common solution offered is to do a factory reset on the phone, which I'm not near ready to do yet. I'm at a loss - and I'd appreciate any good suggestions.
    How about having the second GMail account auto-forward all e-mail to the first GMail account. That will take care of receiving mail - then if you need to respond as your second account, just select the 'send as' or whatever it's called option.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    How about having the second GMail account auto-forward all e-mail to the first GMail account. That will take care of receiving mail - then if you need to respond as your second account, just select the 'send as' or whatever it's called option.
    Thanks. I've considered doing that, and if all else fails, and I can't really solve the problem, I may do it, but I'd almost rather do the dreaded factory reset (not even sure how to perform that yet). I expect intermingling the email accounts would be really messy.

Default re: Adding 2nd gmail account

I'm having the same problem. Did you end up doing a reset?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

No - I've been researching the problem for the last couple of days, without finding any viable solutions. It seems to be extremely widespread, and much panic and frustration resulting. I think this link highlights the range and scope of the problem best:

I've seen many recommendations, most suggesting a factory reset, but it appears that doesn't always work, to remove certain files, which requires rooting, and many other diverse things that people think fix the problem, but I'm not convinced with any of them, and most of them are not feasible for me on the DX, anyway.

I'm suspecting that problem may have resulted from the fact that I had to have my old number ported over from ATT, after I ran through the initial startup, and there is some crossup in the internal numbers on the phone. I've decided to just put my wife's email number accessible via the Gmail browser, and hold on until either someone comes up with a legitimate fix, or pray that Froyo magically resolves the problem when it is released. I plan to keep researching it in the meantime, and will update this thread is I find anything. Of course I welcome real solutions from anyone with the expertise to help us.
    Last edited by vicw926a4; 07-24-2010 at 08:59 AM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by otsoccer15 View Post
    I'm having the same problem. Did you end up doing a reset?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Just curious. Have you changed out your SD card at all? I swapped mine out for a 32gb card. I copied over all of the files on it, but I'm wondering if it's possible there were some hidden files that didn't copy.

Quote Originally Posted by vicw926a4 View Post
    Just curious. Have you changed out your SD card at all? I swapped mine out for a 32gb card. I copied over all of the files on it, but I'm wondering if it's possible there were some hidden files that didn't copy.
    no...i'm using the card that came with it. hasnt even been touched.

i've been scouring the internet as well seeing the same articles and forums. i really dont want to do a hard reset or deal with rooting and erasing files. i guess i'll be waiting for the froyo update as well and hope they address this issue.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

A month later... I found this thread, and I'm having the same problem. I've had my gmail.com account up and working fine for weeks. But when I try to add a Google Apps account also, I get the same "unable to establish a reliable data connection" error.

One idea I had: maybe delete the gmail.com account and then sign up with the Google Apps account as primary? Then re-add the gmail.com account? But I haven't tried it... I do have my Google Apps messages simply forwarded to my gmail account and that works okay for now.

Default same thing

anyone figure out how to solve this yet? I'm on a Samsung Fascinate and it easily found my original gmail address and syncs great with it. Now I created another separate and new gmail account and cannot add it on my phone. No matter what I do I get "Can't establish a reliable data connection on the Server."

Anyone?

Try this:
    Sign into the YouTube app with the account you want to sync and it will automatically add it to the list of your accounts (make sure you sign in to the YouTube app, rather than the website; I tried signing in to the website only and that didn't work).

I know it seems strange, but others have reported that it works.
    Thanked by 3:
    benchlopezss likes this.

ragnarokx,
    Thanks. I will give it a try. Just to be clear... My phone came with a YouTube app pre-installed. When I click on it videos pop up. At the bottom it says sign in (or register if you don't have a YouTube account). I guess I should register and then sign in?

ragnarokx,

IT WORKED. I registered online for YouTube account and, as you said, logged in on my phone. Went to gmail accounts on my phone and there it was. Weird but thanks for the work-around!

nice thread

I'm trying to add a second gmail account (my wife's), and I keep running into a response message after a couple of minutes, saying "Can't establish a reliable data connection on the server". I've tried forcing the transaction through Wi-Fi and cellular paths, always with the same result.IT IS POSSIBLE.

This is my first post ever. I just had to, because I've looked everywhere to find a solution without doing a hard reset. That to me is not an option! I did find that entering it through the youtube app WORKED! strange, yes, but whatever. I just entered it like I would if I was trying to sync it through Google. Nothing else would work, but this did. And I tried everything (except a hard reset which, from what I read, didn't always do the trick). I hope this helps! Good luck everyone!

LoL
    That is so funny, Clockworkoj.
    Ive been skipping through the forums and I registered today to search for a fix for this issue like you and everyone else. Like you, my post is not an introduction, but a huge Thank You to ragnarokx for this workaround. Best of luck from here on out.

Oh, and by the way, Im DarthHomer, thanks for this great forum

Glad it worked for you guys! And welcome to the forums. You can find a lot of great tips like these all over the place here

That is incredible. Worked for me too! Thanks a million!

The easiest way to do this on a at&t android phone is to
    1-pull sim card out
    2-reboot phone with out sim card in
    3-use wifi and add second account or (third)and so on
    4-place sim card back
    5-reboot ;-)

The problem seem to be with carrier settings cache rebooting with out sim clears it or something, setting the account on wifi works and is fast and replacing the sim and rebooting puts everything in order again.

I have a solution, at least for me. Also, I am stuck with Android 1.5, so I hope the following applies.

Start the Accounts program.

Tap "Add Account"

For "Select Account Type" select "Email"
    (Only one "Google" account is permitted.)

Enter your account email address and password.

On my second attempt, I left the Automatically Configure box checked, and it was okay and worked.

On my first attempt, I unchecked the box and referred to:

to set up the accounts, entering the required information in the Incoming and Outgoing tabs.

Both of these are working for me, right now. But it has only been a couple of minutes.

In both ways, the account is set up using the Imap setting. And you have to go into your account setting ("Settings" by your email address in the top right), preferably on a regular computer, and Enable IMAP access.

I had tried using the pop option, but it would not work.

Hope this helps, and keeps working.
    Robert Green likes this.

Wink Re: Adding 2nd gmail account

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Try this:
    Sign into the YouTube app with the account you want to sync and it will automatically add it to the list of your accounts (make sure you sign in to the YouTube app, rather than the website; I tried signing in to the website only and that didn't work).

I know it seems strange, but others have reported that it works.

Thank you very much, it works for me!

Default Re: Adding 2nd gmail account

worked for my motorola android 1.5. I had to follow these instructions.

To configure the 'Email' app on an Android device for access to Gmail, just follow the steps below:

Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
    On your phone, press < Home >, then open the Email application.
    On the 'Your accounts' page, select Next to get started with setup.
    Enter your full Gmail address and password, then select Next.
    On the next screen, you can give the account a nickname and choose the name to display on your outgoing messages. Tap Done.
    And you're done. You can verify your settings from the Inbox view by tapping < Menu > > Account settings.

Incoming settings
    IMAP server: imap.gmail.com
    Port: 993
    Security type: SSL (always)

Outgoing settings
    SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
    Port: 465
    Security type: SSL (always)
    Last edited by Robert Green; 01-20-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: more thorough