1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Looking for advice: playing music on a pc (windows/linux) from Android (no streaming)

I've been looking around for a solution to this - and so far have only found Gmote to be close to what I'm looking for. Actually Gmote hits it on the head, but I wanted to see if there were other options. Here's the setup:

We have a soundboard and speaker system. I would like to hook up a small PC (running either windows or Linux) to the soundboard so that whatever is playing from the computer will come through the speakers. And to control what gets played from the computer, I would like to use my Android phone.

Like I said - Gmote works pretty much just how I envisioned - but I'm not crazy about the UI and how it is set up. I would consider streaming from my phone if it was reliable enough. I had first looked into streaming to the system via bluetooth - but that wasn't quite stable enough and dropped out too many times.

Any advice on what I could look into? Thanks!

Default Re: Looking for advice: playing music on a pc (windows/linux) from Android (no streaming)

I might not be going down the right train of thought here, as I don't have the exact same setup as you, but here it is:

I've been using Unified Remote, it works over bluetooth (I find quite seamlessly) or over wifi (depending on your connections to the router, this can vary). Unified Remote has a pretty slick User Interface, and there are several remotes to chose from depending on what you want to do with it.

Like I said, I don't have a setup like yours, but I have a PC connected to the TV and I can sit on the couch and control YouTube, generally browse using touch actions on the phone, and control media players..

Hope this helps.