Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Remotely Deviated
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy My phone is continuously restarting every 2 min after attempting to DL some apps. HELP!

After attempting to download a few apps (actually a bunch of language apps), ie, after successfully downloaded only 5 of the bunch that I selected on Google Play, my Evo V 4G Virgin crashed and restarted.

After this shutting down and restarting repeated a few times, I uninstalled all new apps and force stopped and disabled Google Play... to no avail.

"Google Play Store is not responding. Would you like to close it?" message pops up twice and then the phone shuts down and restarts again continuously.

HELP!
    What should I do?
    What happened?
    Did I get a virus?

These are the apps that downloaded before it started to do this:
    Italian Lessons and Flashcards
    Japanese Lessons + Flashcards
    Chinese Dictionary+Flashcards
    Japanese Word a Day Widget
    Italian Word a Day Widget

HELP!

Hello everyone~ TIA
    This not the way I wanted to start my first post :{

BTW, after a couple of months I had the phone, every time the phone is restarted about 2/3 of my apps blank out (ie, replaced by the generic green Android icons) for a few minutes before they are all reloaded up. Why is this happening? Is this normal? Is this related to what's happening?
    Last edited by Remotely Deviated; 01-24-2013 at 01:51 AM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: My phone is continuously restarting every 2 min after attempting to DL some apps. HELP!

I pulled the battery out and kept it shut off for about 10 minutes and now it stays on about 4 minutes before restarting.... Help please.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: My phone is continuously restarting every 2 min after attempting to DL some apps. HELP!

After restarting about 5 times more on its own, now it is staying on... hew.. I'm glad I didn't have to try factory reset.

Anyhow, what just happened? Hmmm.....??

Hard to say, but probably not a virus. I'm guessing that one of those apps you downloaded just didn't play nice with the system and led to instability and crashes, even after you uninstalled them. If Google Play seems to be causing issues, try going to Settings/Apps/All Apps, select Google Play Store, and clear the cache.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Arggggg.... it's doing it again!!!! It was fine for a day... then it just started to shut off and start again on its own... CONTINUOUSLY!!!!

I just downloaded USPS app from Google Play... it has to do something with the Google Play Store app.

While it's doing this the phone becomes mostly non-responsive and can't turn off.

Anyone has a clue what's going on or suggestion??
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I'm trying to clear the Google Play cache or force stop whatnot but it just won't stay on long enough for me to do anything right now.... :{

My other apps that clear caches etc won't load up fast enough for me to use them.

Update:

I took the extended battery (aftermarket) out for 10+ min and put the OEM battery in and now it seems to stay on for a bit longer. I was able to force stop Google Play and uninstalled USPS Mobile app. The other day this was exactly the scenario that went on. I will have to experiment which is the culprit if any... Does this mean I'll continue to have problem downloading apps from Google Play?
    Last edited by Remotely Deviated; 01-25-2013 at 06:08 PM.

How long does it stay on before rebooting? You could try reinstalling the latest Google Play store using this link: Dev-Host - com.android.vending-3.10.10.apk - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service (from AndroidPolice)

Click on the Download button just below the banner ad--don't worry, it isn't for the ad.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks much.

It stayed on for about 1 to 2 mins, I think, at first. After I took the battery out for 10 min it stays on about twice as long.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Okay, it seems to be staying on... cross my fingers... after it went through the cycle of restarts. I replaced my Google Play with the one you suggested. I'm updating Reddit.... soooo~ I'll see. If it behaves okay, I'll try downloading USPS Mobile again to see what happens. Regardless of the outcome, I thank you.

I shall keep as many digits crossed as I can too!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Argggg... It's doing it again....

There were 7 apps updates to be done at Google Play Store so I hit download. As usual downloading stopped halfway through. I usually stop the update downloading process and restart the download and that gets the DL going again.

BUT this time nothing happened for few minutes so I hit stop (Play Store Update DL button) a few times and that seized the phone and then it started this turning off and restarting on its own thing again... it's been doing it for 36 hours now. I tried all the remedies I tried before. I tried to download the B. Diddy's Android Police Google Play Store app but the phone does not stay on long enough for the phone to complete the download. I shoulda had the apps auto update...... instead of accumulate.....

Now all I can think of doing is the factory reset.

How do I save my android stuff on my Mac? Do I just plug in and save?
    Last edited by Remotely Deviated; 02-12-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Sorry to hear you're still having these problems! You could try downloading the Google Play Store .apk file directly to your desktop, then plug your phone in to the desktop and transfer the file that way. Then find the file on your phone and tap it to install. Hopefully it'll stay on long enough to complete the transfer, and then for the Play Store to install.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I do Google Play Store both ways, i.e., from my phone and my computer. The same thing happens either way.

I called Virgin Tech support for help and they could not help me but they are sending me a new phone as they think the problem is with the phone. I told them I have not tried factory reset yet as I could not save back up my stuff to my Mac (I don't know how... so far nothing works as far as connecting to my Mac).

Oh well... perhaps it is the phone but this is triggered when I'm doing something with Google Play Store though. Hopefully the same thing won't happen with my new phone.

Thanks much for all your help, B!
    B. Diddy likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Oh and I probably will get booed here at an Android forum but I'm a Mac person and I miss Apple comfort user friendliness/dummy operation: I don't have to deal with any of this kinda things.

Well I didn't want to fork over iPhone price for an ever changing device as well as I'm oversea a lot and US CDMA iPhones don't work there.

This Android stuff is fun but surely anti-productive as far as I'm concerned... too much maintaining, monitoring and tweaking for my personality.... :]

Uh-oh, you'd better duck!

I think we all would agree that when it comes to a smooth UI with fewer bugs and glitches, iOS is better than Android. But of course with that comes a much decreased amount of control over your experience, since Apple's ecosystem is so locked down. I'd also say that Android continues to improve with every OS update, while there's a disturbing trend over there in Cupertino of persistent bugs in iOS (like the latest problem with network connections).

Anyway, hope your replacement phone fixes the problem!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Heheh~ Yes, I agree.

Since my Android phone went schizo I was using my iPod Touch and wow it's just so smooth and glitch-free... Yes, I like Android minus the hair pulling as I have less them... argggggg :}