Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Default Deleted files - free memory didn't increase.

Folks,

Well, I'd sure like to get to the bottom of this. I've seen other folks post about the problem, but I have never, ever seen an actual solution to it. The story goes like this:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, though I've seen people post about the problem with other devices, so I think this is an "Android" problem.

I just got the tablet about a week ago, but this is by no means my first tablet, or Android device. I don't want to root or anything -- I'm happy with the stock device, along with the apps I install and the files I download to it. Oh. And to help with that, I've got a 64GB microSD card (also Samsung brand), formatted as FAT32, and it works just fine.

So, I was filling the tablet up with media files, and I was downloading video files to it. It has 16GB of internal memory, and I figured I would fill up a bit more than half of that with some of my bigger video files. I downloaded a few files, then figured I could download a bit more, and downloaded a couple more. Then I looked at the free memory, and it was down to 3GB free -- "whoops, too much." So, I deleted the two files, which were about 3GB together. AND THE FREE MEMORY DIDN'T INCREASE ONE BIT.

And I've been trying to "get my memory back," ever since. So, here are a couple of screen shots I can show you:

First up is the usual Storage view:

OK, so what the heck is that 3.36GB in "Miscellaneous files?" That's roughly the size of the two files I deleted, so let's go in and take a closer look:

So, it's in the "System memory" up at the top. So, what is "System memory," and what could be taking up that kind of space? Some kind of "cache" that kept the two files I deleted in memory, perhaps?

So, from here, it's pretty simple: What is in that "System memory," and how do I clear it out?

It's NOT any "application cache" -- I've used apps that clean out the application cache, but they didn't touch this "System memory."

I've tried the "Wipe cache partition" from the recovery menu, and that didn't touch this "System memory."

So, is there any way to clear this out?? I sure haven't seen any apps that can do it.

Or, is having a big wad of whatever in the "System memory" pretty typical, and thus it doesn't have anything to do with the fact I deleted those files and the free memory didn't increase? I doubt that, because I've seen quite a few screen shots of the Miscellaneous files screens that other folks have posted, and I have NEVER seen a "System memory" item at the top like I have.

So, any help you could send my way would be appreciated. At this point, I'm expecting that I'm going to have to do a full reset to the factory build, just to free up this big wad of unused memory. Of course, I would rather not do that, but if I'm going to do it, it would be "better sooner than later." So, I do hope someone can help -- thanks in advance for any sage words of wisdom!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Default Re: Deleted files - free memory didn't increase.

Well, no replies so far..........

So, I went ahead and did a factory reset.

And guess what?

My "System memory" of 3.3GB is still there. So, presumably it was there all along. I sure don't recall from the beginning, but I wasn't looking for it until after I deleted those files.

But, I've wiped the cache partition, and reset the tablet back to its factory state -- that's all I can do, as far as I know. Aside from rooting the thing and seeing what I might be able to do, but I definitely don't want to go there. In the end, what an utter waste of time -- now I get to rebuild all of the things I had installed on it. Still, "now I know" that it's just not worth worrying about anymore.
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

Well, if it happens again, plug it in to a computer and try and identify the culprits. It'll just be quicker that way to look at all the files and folders. It must be there somewhere. Since you said it was the same size as files you deleted, maybe they were in the LOST.DIR folder.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devinator View Post
    Well, if it happens again, plug it in to a computer and try and identify the culprits. It'll just be quicker that way to look at all the files and folders. It must be there somewhere. Since you said it was the same size as files you deleted, maybe they were in the LOST.DIR folder.
    Oh, I did that first thing -- I comprehensively went through every single folder in the internal memory. I sure didn't find anything that amounted to much of any file size at all.

In the end, I can only remember when I first got the tablet that the amount of available memory wasn't the full 16GB -- I seem to recall it being down to 12GB or thereabouts, just like it was after doing the factory reset. So, perhaps the system reserves the rest as some kind of cache or something. Given how it's not only Samsung but also Verizon messing around with the Android system, I suppose anything is possible....
    Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō

Global Posts
    4,376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Stock/CM9

If the 16 GB is internal, then yes, part of it is reserved for the OS and apps.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devinator View Post
    If the 16 GB is internal, then yes, part of it is reserved for the OS and apps.
    Yes, this is internal memory, and it looks like it just reserves that much, whether it actually uses it or not.