Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Default How does OTA work

Trying to figure out this OTA updating. It seems to me that with BB all your updates come thru BB desktop manager. I read a few days ago an update is available for my SG2. Looking into it further and based on the baseband version on my phone my update would be arriving OTA only. Now some versions you can update manually or in some cases wait for the OTA. It also says it could be anytime within a 2week period. How is this stuff determined, by your location? I like to understand how stuff works. Anyone have any idea? Thanks, ok so maybe I can be alittle impatient

Default Re: How does OTA work

OTA updates generally come on their own when your phone is selected to be sent it. Carriers send the updates out in batches, so even trying to manually update during the roll it period won't work if your phone isn't in the current batch. You should get a notice on your phone when it is able to update.

As for when it's determined what phones are updated, I personally think it is by ESNs or something like that. Some people think it's by location, but after watching update threads, I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.
    Thanked by:
    hamr1 

Its up to the manufacturer. Samsung has Kies which let you update phone via desktop. They do it mostly for testing before they do OTA(over the air)

what time it comes is still a mystery with Android.
    Thanked by:
    hamr1 

Like to add just if your device is currently rooted there is a good chance that any OTA update or manual desktop aided update could fail upon install. Some cases they will go thru if situations are just right with the device on things not being altered but in most cases if your rooted and plan on grabbing the official OTA then you need to consider either returning back to factory stock/unrooted or wait for your favorite custom ROM developers to apply the new update to their work.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by:
    hamr1