- 58 Posts
I've been researching among the forums the use of VPN. Have to admit I have no experience using VPN as employer does not allow access outside of office. From what I've read, personal VPNs seem to be a good idea, especially when using public wi-fi hotspots. Any of you that have experience with VPNs, for personal use, please share your thoughts, tips, etc.
What VPN(s) would you recommend for a personal use basis, and are there some that you would discourage being used? I've seen many VPNs listed in the Play Store and many others on the web that are recommended for Android.
Given the choice, which protocol would you recommend (PPTP, IPsec, etc.)?
Since I've never used VPN, I'm not sure what else to ask , so your help is appreciated. Sounds as though I should be using VPN, though, at least when using the free wi-fi available in motels, airports, etc.
- 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM #2
- 58 Posts
Re: VPN Questions
Thanks, still1! Among the devices we have, we would be using Android and Windows 7 & 200_. I've seen the VPN option in settings but haven't gone any further.
Also read about DD-WRT (I think that's what it was called) for routers. Anyone familiar with or use that?
Yeah, I read that internet speed may take a hit depending upon where the server is located.
Threads I've read on AC about VPN have mostly been people trying to connect up with work servers. We're just looking to shore up security for internet on the go and maybe even at home. Hmmm
- By joeperrin2121 in forum T-Mobile G1Replies: 10Last Post: 05-15-2013, 09:34 AM
- By FAndroid in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 5Last Post: 03-18-2013, 12:02 AM
- By 70roadrunner in forum HTC EVO 4GReplies: 2Last Post: 10-19-2010, 10:39 AM
- By ericdroid in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 1Last Post: 01-15-2009, 10:46 AM
- By EastBay in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 0Last Post: 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM