Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GSM Phone Equivalent to Motorola Photon Q?

Hello,

I'm a bit new to all of this, but am in need of some help. My current phone (T-Mobile G2) is on its last legs, and it's time for me to get a new one. I've played with on-screen keyboards a lot in the past six months, seeing if I can make the transition (I do copious writing on my phone), and right now I'm at a point where I really want a physical keyboard.

Reading around, the Motorola Photon Q is the phone that appeals to me the most - the larger screen, faster processor, and better camera all sell me - but as I understand it, it's a CDMA phone, which means I can't use it on T-Mobile?

Is that actually true, or is there something I could do to use it anyway (I'm no expert on phones, but I can generally follow instructions properly).

If not, is there a viable alternative to the Photon Q (with a physical keyboard) that would work on my T-Mobile network?

Thank you so much for your help!

Default Re: GSM Phone Equivalent to Motorola Photon Q?

CDMA phones can't be made to work on GSM networks, unfortunately.

Maybe try the Samsung Captivate Glide? You can update it to ICS, at least. Not sure how many QWERTY phones out there have progressed as far as ICS.

Sounds like you need to go to blackberry

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Google's voice transcription has become quite good--is it feasible for you to do a lot of your writing as dictation? A lot of people also swear by SwiftKey, which might make typing with the onscreen keyboard a lot easier.

I don't know what keyboard layout you want, but SE Xperia Pro SK16i is a good qwerty slide smartphone.

An alternative could be the Motola Droid 4 which since Android 4.0.4 has had out of the box support for GSM networks, however it's only available from the states (can be ordered from ebay) and with US keyboard layout, but I think could map some local characters if needed.