1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Transferring service from Verizon/Prepping Galaxy Nexus for sale

Hey guys. Realize that this has probably been asked already, but I'm having a hard time finding one that exactly answers my questions, so here goes.

I bought me a Nexus 4 and I'm transferring service from an old Verizon family plan to a T-Mobile prepaid. My contract is already up, so no ETF should apply. From what I've read, if I transfer my old number (to either T-Mo or GV), it should cancel my Verizon line automatically on that family plan... right? I can then just pop out the 4G sim and be good to go on that front? Or do I need to haul myself to a Verizon store, endure the BS about keeping me as a customer, and get them to cancel it for me?

My follow-up - I am selling a Verizon GNex. I've sold phones before, but never actually an Android phone, so I wanted to be extra careful in how I deal with the data wipe. My plan was to do a built-in encryption, overwrite the SD section manually on Windows, then do a factory wipe on the phone itself. Anything I'm missing, or is this already overkill?

Thanks guys. Never actually posted before but huge fan of the community you have going on.

Default Re: Transferring service from Verizon/Prepping Galaxy Nexus for sale

Yeah no need to go into a verizon store just port your number over to the other carrier. You will need the account number for the Verizon account which can be found on the bill.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

You should be ok with just porting the number to the new carrier and not having to do anything with Verizon -- just be safe, a follow-up with Verizon would be suggested that the account (or line) was closed in good standing.

Also, most people simply wipe/factory reset from the phone settings or custom recovery (if you are rooted) before selling a device. If you feel doing so from Windows is more safer then no problem with doing that. It's your device, your information. Do what you believe is best
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Awesome. Thanks guys, looking forward to jettisoning service with them